Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Engineer-Lawyers thread  (Read 4530 times)

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: Engineer-Lawyers thread
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2004, 09:52:57 AM »
fashion design, interior design, hmm... the rest are listed here:
http://www.drexel.edu/academics/comad/acadprograms/index.htm

I don't lump architecture majors in with design, though... those guys have to use the whole of their brains... creativity, practical design, technical design, etc.

what's a design major? like, fashion? or architecture...

this is the most screwed up thing ive heard on this board besides me saying i hate white people.

any type of design is incredibly difficult because youre not working with absolutes.  youre working with more subjectivity than anything else...
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Ginatio

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2004, 09:55:29 AM »
abstract thought is much easier than analytical. like i said, to each his own... creativity comes more naturally to me, so i discount design majors as having it easy. so sue me.

I don't lump architecture majors in with design, though... those guys have to use the whole of their brains... creativity, practical design, technical design, etc.

this is the most screwed up thing ive heard on this board besides me saying i hate white people.

any type of design is incredibly difficult because youre not working with absolutes.  youre working with more subjectivity than anything else...

Ginatio

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2004, 09:55:45 AM »

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2004, 10:01:46 AM »
analytical thought is much easier than abstract.  math and numbers come naturally for me.  so i consider engineering majors as having it easy. 

but like you said...to each his own.

abstract thought is much easier than analytical. like i said, to each his own... creativity comes more naturally to me, so i discount design majors as having it easy. so sue me.

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2004, 10:12:41 AM »
I think it's funny how any conversation about engineers inevitably ends up being an "Engineering is harder/easier than X major".  Granted, I might have started that with a short stab at LA majors in the OP, but still...pretty crazy

jgruber

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2004, 10:29:15 AM »
I think I've seen a tendency among the 'technically' oriented majors like engineering to demonstrate that even the technical side has a creative side.

So the sciences wanna be liberal arty too

Ginatio

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2004, 10:32:40 AM »
It's because we're arrogant bastards. we need to be good at everything... and for the most part, we are.  ;)

I think I've seen a tendency among the 'technically' oriented majors like engineering to demonstrate that even the technical side has a creative side.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2004, 10:33:34 AM »
especially penn grads.

It's because we're arrogant bastards. we need to be good at everything... and for the most part, we are.  ;)

thechoson

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2004, 10:36:54 AM »
I mean, if engineering is easy, why is it harder to get into an engineering dept at a good school (like here at UCLA), why is it harder to make it through (there are MUCH MORE people that switch from engineering to poli sci than vice versa), and why do they get paid more for their services upon graduation?

And again, I am a poli sci major. Fact of the matter is, Engineering is tougher, hands down.  I think if you major in Chem E, you are doing the toughest thing possible.  Pre-Meds don't have it that hard. Bio is not a tough major, or at least as tough as any of the engineering disciplines.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2004, 10:40:58 AM »
I mean, if engineering is easy, why is it harder to get into an engineering dept at a good school (like here at UCLA), why is it harder to make it through (there are MUCH MORE people that switch from engineering to poli sci than vice versa), and why do they get paid more for their services upon graduation?

And again, I am a poli sci major. Fact of the matter is, Engineering is tougher, hands down.  I think if you major in Chem E, you are doing the toughest thing possible.  Pre-Meds don't have it that hard. Bio is not a tough major, or at least as tough as any of the engineering disciplines.

i dont know about other schools, but the engineering school at penn (when i was ugrad there...not sure about now) was easier to get into than wharton or arts & sciences.  lots of people went to engineering, then matriculated over to wharton, did m&t, or transferred to arts & sciences to become smarter.