Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Engineer-Lawyers thread  (Read 4556 times)

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Engineer-Lawyers thread
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2004, 06:18:49 PM »
at my undergrad school the DEAN of engineering always referred to the liberal arts majors as "leisurely arts" majors. very fitting, i thought.

by the way, the pre-meds are the worst of the bunch. fine, they have to take a couple of "hard" classes. but try taking 4 years of all hard classes. i hate it when they give me that crap of "orgo is so hard..." please, man... i took orgo. it wasnt anything special. try taking 3 years of calculus, thermo, finite element, plates & shells, composite design, etc... orgo was my fluff course compared to the hardcore engineering classes. and i wasnt even in the hardest engineering; you chem-e people have BALLS!

Ginatio

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2004, 06:51:48 PM »
a friend of mine went to the library once to borrow a book for our microwave engineering class. microwave meaning high frequency filters, oscillators, antennas, etc. for communications...

An LAS major was manning the desk, and the following convo ensued...

EE: "Hi, can I have the book for microwave engineering?"
LAS: "...  :-\ sure, i'll be... right back"
EE: "awesome. thanks"
LAS: "so, you're learning about microwaves, right?"
EE: "yea. microwave engineering"
LAS: "well... you know, my microwave broke, so maybe you can give me tips on how to fix it?"

that's another thing I hate... just because we're engineering majors, we're the first ones our LAS friends come to to get their microwave, tv, computer, etc. fixed. sumbitches

rathpa

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2004, 06:59:31 PM »
Haha... that's true, Ginatio, we do get questions about fixing things... however i must say, i give my physics friends a hard time anytime we are playing sports because i always ask them why they don't "throw the perfect pass", hit homeruns all the time, etc.  I mean come on, they should know how to do it perfectly!!!  ;)

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2004, 07:02:13 PM »
I'm sorry, but Engineering is not the hardest.  How many engineers have won the Nobel prize?  And, how many Economists have won the award?  Engineers are just applied mathematicians, key word being applied.  It's not hard to take something and use it, but it's a different game when you have to invent something new.  You want something fun to do?  Try negating risk/randomness in the stock market.  John Nash, Myron Scholes, Rober Merton were all great Economists and the list goes on...  Try reading some Economic dissertations on volatility or risk management and see if the material is easy, it's not all supply and demand curves, that's just the 101 elective course you took. 

I'm not saying Economics is the hardest subject, but Engineering is definitely not the hardest field of study.

When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2004, 07:36:51 PM »
actually, the key word for PRCATICING engineers is applied (to a varying degree depending on the field)... this is not true of engineering as a course of study. after all, you have to learn the mathematical theory behind engineering before you can apply the knowledge to the real world. the real difference between engineers and mathematicians doesnt reveal itself until the engineer joins the working world. untill that point, engineering is much closer to mathematics than you profess.

and yes, i agree that it is much more difficult to invent something new. what you fail to grasp is that this is EXACTLY what engineers do! there isnt much need to engineer a device that has already been invented. who do you think invented the computer that you are typing on? it wasnt an econ major, i can promise you that. you have all of the electrical, material science and computer ENGINEERS to thank for it.

and please, econ may not get as much respect as it disserves, but engineering CERTAINLY deserves more respect than you give it.

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2004, 08:25:22 PM »
The major problem I have with this thread is the statement that engineering is harder than any other subject.  It is simply not true. 

Two of my friends are studying EE & CE at Waterloo, and their courses are not that hard.  In fact, I've taken many of the same courses as they have, such as, Calculus, Advanced Calculus, ODE, Analysis, Probability Theory and such; these were my best courses in terms of grades.  You have to admit, it is a lot easier to get a 95% in an engineering course than it is in a Poli Sci course.

Also, it might be tempting to consider all engineers inventors.  But, the fact of the matter is that most EE and CE graduates just end up being code monkeys, aka Technical Analysts.  Very few people end up actually inventing anything.
When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.

Ginatio

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2004, 08:56:35 PM »
These are not engineering courses. They are math courses that engineers take to lay the groundwork for future advanced courses. Go take Electromagnetic Fields and Waves and tell me that's easy... or quantum dynamics.

I guess what it comes down to is... to each his own. I've taken sociology, english, polsci, and others, and to me they have been piss easy compared to my engineering classes.

Two of my friends are studying EE & CE at Waterloo, and their courses are not that hard.  In fact, I've taken many of the same courses as they have, such as, Calculus, Advanced Calculus, ODE, Analysis, Probability Theory and such; these were my best courses in terms of grades.  You have to admit, it is a lot easier to get a 95% in an engineering course than it is in a Poli Sci course.

thechoson

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2004, 09:02:07 PM »
I am a poli sci major, and it is no where near as hard as engineering.  Not EVEN IN THE SAME LEAGUE.  However, poli sci does teach you to think about things in a different way, if you really like the subject material.  That was a benefit. But it teaches you *&^% about how thing WORK in the real world, like I am sure engineering does.  My dad was a Mech E. 

Having said that, I think it is a shame what engineers go through sometimes in the real world.  It just shows you life ain't fair.  They bust their ass for 4 years taking the hardest classes, and people make fun of them for being nerds, and their salaries plateau much faster than some dweeb that majored in History who goes into I-Banking or something.  I think it's a damn shame, but at least engineers have options, like MBAs or JDs, which can broaden their horizons.  But as you can tell, I have nothing but love and respect for what engineers have to go through.

Having said that, I do have certain beefs with certain engineers.  The ones that are in it for the money.  The ones that make it through with a 2.3 gpa, and graduate and think they will pull in 50k a year.  Those are the ones that are pathetic.  I know a comp sci major that ended up teaching high school math, cause nobody wanted to give her a job with a 2.2 or whatever.

If you are a GOOD engineer, I am sure there will be many options open to you, considering you have a degree that is respected by many people.  If you are a crappy engineer, I bet you will do worse than a good liberal arts major.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2004, 11:41:00 PM »
The major problem I have with this thread is the statement that engineering is harder than any other subject.  It is simply not true. 

Also, it might be tempting to consider all engineers inventors.  But, the fact of the matter is that most EE and CE graduates just end up being code monkeys, aka Technical Analysts.  Very few people end up actually inventing anything.

finance/econ majors of the world, unite!  ;D

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2004, 02:10:28 AM »
WHAT?!?!? poli sci is easier than engineering?!?!? maybe if your professor is on crack!

You have to admit, it is a lot easier to get a 95% in an engineering course than it is in a Poli Sci course.