Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Engineer-Lawyers thread  (Read 4528 times)

Ginatio

Re: Engineer-Lawyers thread
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2004, 03:25:05 PM »
having been working for 5+ years, you no doubt have a foothold in the workplace/industry... what made you consider the switch to patent law?

i am an ee with 5+ years industry experience, masters in ie.

studying for patent bar currently.

excited to be in classes where the professor will actually be talking to me not to the board :)

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2004, 03:27:50 PM »
do you speak from first hand experience?

yep.  my wife bitches every morning about it.

and engineering is still easy.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

jgruber

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2004, 03:29:19 PM »
just to keep it honest, I couldn't be an engineer in a million years.  It's way too hard.

nachosauce

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2004, 03:53:55 PM »
ironically i started engineering school with the knowledge that i wanted to be an attorney. i didn't know what to study for undergrad and since i liked math i thought what the hell.

engineering is academically challenging but i do not like it as a career choice. it is extremely isolating and as a double "non majority" person in the field i have had enough of the marginalization that comes with it.

pays good though.

having been working for 5+ years, you no doubt have a foothold in the workplace/industry... what made you consider the switch to patent law?

i am an ee with 5+ years industry experience, masters in ie.

studying for patent bar currently.

excited to be in classes where the professor will actually be talking to me not to the board :)

Ginatio

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004, 03:58:58 PM »
you ain't seen nothin yet.

pays good though.

kdavo123

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2004, 04:09:14 PM »
I was wondering what kind of chance I would have entering into patent law with a B.S. in Computer Science.  I graduated 2 years ago but never really wanted to enter the workforce as a programmer.  Instead I went into finance and banking.  I will start law school this fall and hope to use my technical background in conjuction with a law degree to work for a high tech company.

kdavo123

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2004, 04:09:30 PM »
I was wondering what kind of chance I would have entering into patent law with a B.S. in Computer Science.  I graduated 2 years ago but never really wanted to enter the workforce as a programmer.  Instead I went into finance and banking.  I will start law school this fall and hope to use my technical background in conjuction with a law degree to work for a high tech company.

kdavo123

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2004, 04:10:26 PM »

kdavo123

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2004, 04:14:01 PM »
Sorry first time posting on here, didn't think my message got accepted.

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2004, 04:25:10 PM »
nachosauce- I did the same thing, going into engineering knowing that I wanted to do law.  How's the patent bar studying going?  I wanted to take it this spring, but they wouldn't let me because I didn't get my undergrad degree until 2 weeks after the administration.  Don't really want to take it during 1L, so I'll prob go for it fall 3L or maybe 2L if I'm feeling motivated.  Woulda been nice to have before 1L summer though...

kdavo- http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/oed/grb15oct03.pdf lists the requirements to sit for the patent bar.  You need to be certified by the patent bar to do patent prosecution, but not necessarly to do patent litigation.

My favorite quote from engineering, courtesy of my Circuits 1 instructor:
"Now, how many of you in here are from Liberal Arts? (looks, and sees no hands up)  Hmm...how many of you engineers have taken a liberal arts class? (all hands go up)  And Liberal Arts majors claim to be the 'well-rounded' ones?!?"