Law School Discussion

2 Advisors or 1 Advisor 1 Other?

frankm007

2 Advisors or 1 Advisor 1 Other?
« on: August 23, 2005, 04:20:35 PM »
I got one LOR from an advisor as required by almost all schools. This particular LOR is "okay"... nothing specific and nothing stellar.

I can get my hands on another LOR from an advisor that might hold the same weight and do nothing more for me, or I can get an LOR from someone whom I've been interning for whom holds a lot of weight.

Will they care if I do this? Considering some schools say they "prefer" 2 from advisors...       

this can be the difference between having letters that don't do much for me and having one that makes a big difference...

jdw112

Re: 2 Advisors or 1 Advisor 1 Other?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 04:41:23 PM »
Are you certain that some of the schools are asking for 2 LOR's from "advisors"? That strikes me as a little odd. Not to say that you are wrong. I know that many programs ask for a deans cert, but beyond that the LOR's they request tend to be from professors, employers, or other individuals who you feel can best represent you. I've never seen an app ask for two advisors specifically, or even encourage it.

frankm007

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 05:08:20 PM »
i'm sorry, not advisors, but some one that knows you academically.

SkullTatt

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 05:13:32 PM »
I am assuming by "advisor" you mean professor. Anyway, I would definitely vote for using the person you are interning for, if the alternative is getting another lackluster academic recommendation.

Look at it this way... you are an adcomm, reviewing your application... she reads two medicore LOR's that are both academic. Ho-hum, next! Alternatively, she reads one mediocre LOR, and one amazing one that tells about your great character and showcases your relentless drive to make the world a better place.

Is there any doubt which scenario is better?

frankm007

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 06:22:57 PM »
Hmm...how about 2 LORs telling the world how great I am and no professors..grr...  :-\