Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CSS and/or Need Access Applications  (Read 758 times)

RedZone

• View Profile
    • Email
CSS and/or Need Access Applications
« on: August 23, 2005, 02:54:56 PM »
I've noticed that there are alot of deadlines placed on completion of FAFSA and the CSS &/or Need Access.  What if you're still pending by the time the deadline rolls around?

Are financial aide applications only submitted after acceptance?

I had wanted to get my FAFSA form out to my schools as soon as possible.  But I sure don't want to pay for the CSS/Need Access service until I know I've at least been accepted.

And on that same note, if you get waitlisted somewhere, do you go ahead and go through the financial aide application process while waitlisted?  If the financial aide deadline passes and THEN you get accepted, is there any aide still available?

Am I looking at this all wrong?  Am I missing something here?  I thought the LSAC and school fees were enough.  I wasn't expecting another $15 for each one.  And I can't even figure out what CSS costs without settin up an account. 

Ok, this is starting to freak me out.  I don't want it screwing up my budget I have for the application process.  Can anyone help me out here????

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: CSS and/or Need Access Applications
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 03:22:35 PM »
This is why you fill out any and all financial aid forms regardless of whether you've been accepted or waitlisted by the time the deadline nears.  It can get pricey with the ones you pay for (profile and needaccess), but you might decide that you don't really want to attend a school or two.  Or you may hear from 1 school that you'd go to over all your safties, so you don't have to send stuff out.

Sending your stuff in, regardless of status, is what adcoms recommend to students so they have as much a chance as possible getting aid if they're accepted late.