Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does think topic sound feasible or is it anti-law school?  (Read 516 times)

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
Does think topic sound feasible or is it anti-law school?
« on: August 23, 2005, 02:40:10 PM »
I wrote my personal statment about certainty and how nothing in my life is certain or something along those lines. My question is though, will law schools look at this harshly... Law is a profession that centers on rational discourse and logical debate. The LSAT exemplifies this point. I know that in todays world, many professors (especially philosophy profs.) talk about how we can never really know anything, how ideas are subjective and we must be tolerant of all other views, even suicide bombers intent on killing us... which is kinda of what my essay focuses on, the uncertainty in my life... but is this kind of thinking not suitable for law school? Law school is about who can provide the most powerful argument to logically defend one side of an issue...and maybe the whole "certainty is non-existent" and "I have apprehended and grasped the true nature of this world; that there is no true nature at all" spiel doesn't fit.

What does everyone think. The essay turned out stellar, but a friend commented on this theme of certainty and got me a lil worried. I would love to hear what everyone else thinks. Basically I am saying i was always certain about my future, all this adversity came, changd my life, etc... so i cant say anythings certain anymore... its pretty deep yet expresses a lot about myself and my character... will this make me look like a uncertain and weak applicant? all comments and advice are def. welcome. Thanks guys!!
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Does think topic sound feasible or is it anti-law school?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 03:51:21 PM »
The personal statement is the adcoms chance to evaluate a student's writing ability as well as gain some insight into his/her personality, motivation etc.  If you feel that your essay allows that opportunity then don't worry about an "anti-law" school vibe.  However, most people who have written "stellar" essays, can concisely and accurately sum up the essay in one or two sentences without using the phrase "or something along those lines". Perhaps, you should focus more on the adversity and your triumph over them.. If you feel it is necessary then talk about how the struggle over the adversity affected your "best laid plans" and viewpoint but I'd drop the pseudo-intellectual slant of social relativity or as you expressed "no true nature at all".  Just from your blurb, I don't think it would convey "deep thought" nor am I certain that it would really help your chances. 

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 04:57:10 PM »
Let's see it!

I have read over 65 personal statements now.  Most were OK, but not stellar.  The exception notable being Bonkers, Jr..  PM it to me and I will take a peek!

SkullTatt

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 07:10:03 PM »
Ha... thanks Laura (Prepon I mean)!

I would like to read this "stellar" PS too. Not having seen it, I would tend to agree that there too much "uncertainty" in the topic and it doesn't sound that appealing. But if it is truly stellar it will overcome that.

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 01:25:38 AM »
Lol i didnt mean to sound pretentious, in my mind I think its the best out of all I have written so far, but im sure nowhere near comprable to some of the many wonderful PSs out there. I would like you guys to check it out however... so Ill send you both PMs... thanks again.
Lets go Pirates!

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 01:35:57 AM »
actually it wont let me PM cause its too many characters apparently, so can I have your email adresses? Thanks!
Lets go Pirates!

shoppingaddict

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 02:48:52 PM »

I'll read it too.
sportysrah@hotmail.com
Cardozo '09