Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So I finally read LSC this weekend...  (Read 1264 times)

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
So I finally read LSC this weekend...
« on: June 21, 2004, 09:08:40 AM »
I had an enjoyable 12 hrs in a car this weekend, so I read the book cover-to-cover this weekend.  Rather interesting.  I think the highlighting makes sense, and although I think i'd feel rather gay having 5 colors of highliter in my book, I think I'll probably end up trying some sort of highlighting method first when I get to school.  Also, some good advice on little things to get done before getting to law school that I probably otherwise would have forgotten.  It'll be interesting to see how the later sections on job applications, summer employment, etc. are once I get there (And the 1L advice I suppose).  Mostly, it was just nice to get some background ideas on what law school is like.

Next on the list...Getting to Maybe

jgruber

Re: So I finally read LSC this weekend...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 09:17:28 AM »
Yes, it is festive to have 5 colors.

Some have suggested that the book briefing technique is not the most effective.  Writing out the information in your own brief plants it in your brain better than high-lighting it in a book.

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 09:20:44 AM »
yeah, but I think entering it into an outline after class is over probably gets your bases covered for actually 'writing down' the information.  Highlighting seems just to be so you have a general idea what the cases are about before class.

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 09:22:40 AM »
yeah, but I think entering it into an outline after class is over probably gets your bases covered for actually 'writing down' the information.  Highlighting seems just to be so you have a general idea what the cases are about before class.

That's not been my experience, but to each his/her own.  I intend to write my own briefs and maybe my own boxers, too.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 12:39:07 PM »
I def agree with this, and plan on trying it next fall when i (hopefully) go to law school.  I think this is the most efficient way to do it, and I doubt I'll have the time to read, brief, *and* outline.  It seems to me that the extra time I can devote to my own outline would give me an extra boost come exam time, while still keeping me prepared and ready to come under fire during class.  (damn socratic method...*grumble*)

ryckmansboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 06:22:38 PM »
The 5 color book-briefing method is completely useless. I used it for about 2 weeks as a 1L before deciding that it was a total waste of time and effort.  I think the LSC people were paid off by the Avery or Sanford people as a means of marketing more highlighters. 

Brief cases (and briefs should be ummm... brief, like short man).  Case briefs should be a few lines (maybe half a page for a big case with lots of facts).  The key is to understand the case, not to create reams of paper for posterity or a bunch of case books that look as gay as male private part Cheney's sister.

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 08:59:45 AM »
The 5 color book-briefing method is completely useless. I used it for about 2 weeks as a 1L before deciding that it was a total waste of time and effort.  I think the LSC people were paid off by the Avery or Sanford people as a means of marketing more highlighters. 

Brief cases (and briefs should be ummm... brief, like short man).  Case briefs should be a few lines (maybe half a page for a big case with lots of facts).  The key is to understand the case, not to create reams of paper for posterity or a bunch of case books that look as gay as male private part Cheney's sister.

What are case briefs used for, and how does it fit in with outlining?  Am I going to use my briefs just for answering questions in class, then an outline for the final exam, or are the actually used on the final?  Thanks.

Ginatio

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 09:10:36 AM »
the way i understand it, you outline the concepts and topics discussed in class and in the book, and refer to cases along the way. but you don't actually talk about the case in your outline. rather, you have a case brief attached that gives quick reference to the facts, ruling, etc. of the case.

this way, as you're going through the outline, you can associate different principles with different cases and then refer to your briefs if you can't remember what the case is about.

What are case briefs used for, and how does it fit in with outlining?  Am I going to use my briefs just for answering questions in class, then an outline for the final exam, or are the actually used on the final?  Thanks.

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 09:51:13 AM »
If you want to see what some outlines look like for first year classes, take a look at this site:

http://people.qualcomm.com/rmartin/outlines.html

Just gives you a good idea of what the finish product will look like.  I'm going to get outlines from several older students to model mine after just so I'm not including or excluding too much info.  I'd use someone else's as a guideline at first and then adapt it to meet your needs.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

dta

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 10:06:12 PM »
I also read LSC this last week during a vacation w/ my wife. I found it generally useful and helpful in a non-specific sort of way. The interview w/ the Dean at Cornell Law School was very revealing. However, I was really hoping to get from it the skinny on what I could do in the year before law school to help myself prepare. Unfortunately, LSC was of no use on that angle. Fortunately, I also began reading PLS over the vacation and found copious advice on precisely this topic.