Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Trying to decide whether to say Hispanic or white...  (Read 2472 times)

jryan

• View Profile
Trying to decide whether to say Hispanic or white...
« on: August 22, 2005, 04:38:56 PM »
So, here's my deal. It's a bit long, so bear with me.

3 of my grandparents are Irish. My dad's mom is Puerto Rican. She lived with us growing up, and was my primary caretaker while my parents worked, so as a result, I identify with her pretty strongly. I was immersed in PR culture as a kid, and I'm also VERY involved in PR community activism.

However- even though I identify very strongly with this part of my heritage, most people I encounter (including many people I do community activism with) consider me plain white. I'm blonde, I'm not completely fluent in Spanish, and I have the most Irish name ever.

So, this is what I'm trying to decide. I don't want to just say that I'm white because that doesn't tell the whole story about me. But based on how many people have just considered me white off the bat in the past, I'm worried if I put Hispanic, people will think I'm not serious and I'm just saying that to get extra admissions points. (I should note here that I'm skeptical that it even would make much of a difference as far as admissions is concerned). I just don't want anyone to think I'm trying to pimp my PR heritage for my own benefit, so to speak.

Ultimately, I know this is my own decision to make, but I'd be interested to hear what you guys think.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to decide whether to say Hispanic or white...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 04:48:52 PM »
If it were me, I would probably check both and attach a diversity statement or addendum.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 04:54:20 PM »
If it were me, I would probably check both and attach a diversity statement or addendum.

ditto.  it sounds like you (OP) have some great material for a compelling diveristy statement.  good luck!

J D

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 05:45:35 PM »

ditto.  it sounds like you (OP) have some great material for a compelling diveristy statement.  good luck!

Just out of curiosity, do all white Hispanics really feel the need to go through this bull?  Is it tacitly required or something?  Because, come on, it's not as if one cannot be both white and Hispanic, just like one can be black and Hispanic, or Asian and Hispanic, etc.

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 05:51:29 PM »
I dunno.  From your life experience, I don't think it would be a bad idea to check hispanic...but the best idea was probably the one said earlier about checking both and then adding the statement.

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 06:17:49 PM »

Just out of curiosity, do all white Hispanics really feel the need to go through this bull?  Is it tacitly required or something?  Because, come on, it's not as if one cannot be both white and Hispanic, just like one can be black and Hispanic, or Asian and Hispanic, etc.

It's harder for us because "hispanic" isn't technically a race -- it's an ethnicity and a culture. You know the "one-drop rule" for Af Ams? Well, there isn't anything like that for us. If the OP's grandmother was black, then she'd be black in anyone's book ... but we're a little different. Of course, since everyone can't be expected to know that, writing an addendum is a good idea.   

J D

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 06:52:02 PM »

It's harder for us because "hispanic" isn't technically a race -- it's an ethnicity and a culture. You know the "one-drop rule" for Af Ams? Well, there isn't anything like that for us. If the OP's grandmother was black, then she'd be black in anyone's book ... but we're a little different. Of course, since everyone can't be expected to know that, writing an addendum is a good idea.   

Then I guess my question is, "Why are so many people such frellin' ignorami/ae that they DON'T know this?!"  Why don't more people know that "hispanidad" (for lack of a better word; if that isn't a real word, please pretend it is for the purposes of discussion!) is not a factor of race, color, or physiognomy?  Why are there so many people (both on this message board and elsewhere) cluelessly blathering on about people being "biologically Hispanic," as if being Hispanic had anything to do with biology?  Why don't more people know that you can no more be "biologically Hispanic" than you can be "biologically French?"

???

BigSplitDC

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 07:00:45 PM »
I have a Cuban grandmother who I'm very close to - it has absolutely brought me closer to Latin American culture.

However - she's not my biological grandmother - though she is the only grandmother I ever knew. 

Obviously I'm not Hispanic and I certainly won't check that box... but... am I any less Hispanic than the OP?  I question the borderline cases...

BigSplitDC

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 07:01:18 PM »
I would agree that you write a diversity addendum.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 11:45:19 PM »
Totally agree on the diversity addendum, esp. since Hispanics in some areas are viewed as an underrepresented minority.