Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How early is too early?  (Read 358 times)

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
How early is too early?
« on: August 22, 2005, 06:14:37 AM »
Ok, so I'm applying to UK which is my safety school. Their admissions probability grid says my chances for admission are "probable," plus I'm a KY resident. My question is this: If I apply early September, would that help my chances of being granted scholarship assistance, or do law schools wait a long time before deciding that? Should I just hold off for a while?

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How early is too early?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 11:32:32 AM »
UK begins making scholarship decisions in January and continue to do so until April.  You don't mention your undergrad school, gpa or lsat... so I don't know if you are a possible candidate for the Combs or Ashland scholarship or the UK fellowships.  But it's best to get the app into UK in early October if a candidate for Combs or Ashland as you will have to request an interview--also be sure to fill out the scholarship application for those two scholarships if applicable.  Other scholarship and financial aid awards do not require special applications.  hope that answers some of your questions.  In general its a good idea to get appliactions in early--but i'd caution you againt an early decision or early action application at a school that is in your reach range as this often leads to a waitlist or rejection.

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 03:25:14 PM »
Miami-

A reach school is just that a "reach".  You are not a shoo-in there.  Infact, you may not even be in the top half of the accepted class.  Therefore, your application will generally be put aside until the adcoms have a clearer picture of what the general application pool looks like.  In other words, they dont want to give you a space, if it may mean shutting a more qualified person out who applies Dec 25th... So applying ED/EA to a reach school is NOT going to help an applicant.. at best the reach applicant decision is put on hold or waitlisted at worst they are flat out rejected diring ED/EA decisions.  I've heard the best strategy in applying to reach schools is to have the completed application at the school before thanksgiving (as you reach the holiday break applicants) but after the ED/EA decisions have been made. 

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 03:51:41 PM »
UK begins making scholarship decisions in January and continue to do so until April.  You don't mention your undergrad school, gpa or lsat... so I don't know if you are a possible candidate for the Combs or Ashland scholarship or the UK fellowships.  But it's best to get the app into UK in early October if a candidate for Combs or Ashland as you will have to request an interview--also be sure to fill out the scholarship application for those two scholarships if applicable.  Other scholarship and financial aid awards do not require special applications.  hope that answers some of your questions.  In general its a good idea to get appliactions in early--but i'd caution you againt an early decision or early action application at a school that is in your reach range as this often leads to a waitlist or rejection.

Thanks

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington