Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does anyone else have NO clue what to write about??????  (Read 1017 times)

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
Does anyone else have NO clue what to write about??????
« on: August 22, 2005, 04:42:38 AM »
I am having the hardest damn time trying to think of a PS topic. My life has not been filled with unique, life-changing, or noteworthy events. The only big thing that has happened to me was the death of my dad, and there is no way I'm writing about that. If anyone knows a site with some sample personal statements from which I could get ideas or if anybody would guide me to a topic, I'd be eternally grateful! ???

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone else have NO clue what to write about??????
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 05:37:06 AM »
OK... I just found a story I wrote for a class, and I think I could include it in a PS. The story is true, and it's about golf... I LOVE golf and play just about every day. But anyway, it's a story about something I did, an embarrassing story, and if someone could read it to see if it reads well, I'd appreciate it. I never turned it in for the class because I understood the story, but I wasn't sure anyone else would. If someone wants to read it for me, post your email address, and I'll send it to you. Thanks a million.

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington

l3rk3r

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 10:50:06 AM »
check out the resources section on this very site.  i think there is one called essayedge or something.

SkullTatt

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 12:23:48 PM »
I'll read the PS... embarrassing stories are the best..............

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 03:31:07 PM »
What you need to write about is the incident that affected who the heck you are now the most.  These are often the hardest to write, but I think that the most heartfelt essays come across as the best ones.

jeb240

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 05:52:10 PM »
What you need to write about is the incident that affected who the heck you are now the most.  These are often the hardest to write, but I think that the most heartfelt essays come across as the best ones.

HLC and I are like one Vulcan mind-melded brain thing.

The adcomms aren't looking for Motorcycle Diaries type tellings (which, btw, was semi-boring as far books go), but something must have happened to you in the past 2 or more decades (preferrably more recent than 2 decades ago) to make you who you are, to determine what you do, or to impact what you want to become.

Rather thinking, "Well, that was a really interesting incident" or "Oh! I could write about this!" just start with, "This is what I want.  These are what I like.  Hmm... why are these what I like and why is this what I want?"

BTW, I think golf might be a great start.

jeb240

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 12:21:42 PM »
If all else fails, then just answer the obvious question: why do you want to go to law school?

Presumably you have a good answer.

matts720

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let's Go Nova!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matts072083
    • View Profile
    • MySpace profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 12:26:25 PM »
I'm having the same problem as well, I've been brainstorming the past few days about what I'm going to write about, but nothing has come to mind. Nothing really life-changing, other than my parents divorce about 11-12 years ago, but that's nowhere near recent. I do have some volunteering activities that I did as part of a school club, but I wonder how I can weave it into a PS....
Villanova 1L Class of 2009. Invading the Main Line in August.

Served

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 12:29:20 PM »
The more examples your read the better an idea you get of the different formats the PS can take.  Law School Essays That Made a Difference by The Princeton Review is a good source for templates because it also includes a bio with each PS.
“The best way to lie is to tell part of the truth.”     -Twain
“Religion is the universal obsessional neurosis of humanity.”     - Freud
“When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.”     - Maslow

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 01:06:24 PM »
Don't write about the surgeries you had as a kid, unless that was something major that affected you before, after and now.  You don't want to try the "this is what I overcame" essay unless you actually worked to overcome something huge.

The worst thing you can do here as come off as not genuine.