Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: East Coast Ski Advice  (Read 502 times)

freshk

• View Profile
    • Email
East Coast Ski Advice
« on: August 21, 2005, 04:05:36 PM »
I have never skied east of the Rockies.  Now that I am living on the east coast I need to find out more about the skiing out here.  I would like to book a vacation for the family over Christmas break.  I am looking at Tremblant, but I do not know anybody who has skied there that can give me any insight.  Any advice or suggestions from the east coasters out there?

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: East Coast Ski Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 05:36:22 PM »

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 08:04:18 PM »
Isn't Tremblant in canada?  I've been there once (mount tremblant in canada), and I must say, that was the only time I saw ski bunnies on the ski slopes.  I'm pretty sure they were models, since they have photographers following them around, and they looked way too hot to be average canadians.  It's good place to go skiing, but I prefer killington, vt with the huge giant lifts. 

Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

freshk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 06:21:04 AM »
Hey  guys,

Thanks for the advice.  I knew that there was skiing in VT, but I didn't realize how many nice resorts they had.  I am going to look into Okemo and Killington. 

Before I moved out here, I was in Salt Lake City on business two to three times a month.  All the resorts had a deal where you could ski free the same day you flew in by presenting them your boarding pass.  So despite living in Las Vegas, I was able to get 2-3 ski days in every month during the season. 

There are some ski resorts just a few hours drive from D.C. I do not know how great they are, but I might have to make some day trips to them to get my legas into shape before the family vacation.  Do ya'll have any tips on a good spot to ski in southern PA on a day trip?

l3rk3r

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 10:29:59 AM »
Also see Stowe and Smuggler's Notch in VT, both are great mountains. Smuggler's is a great place for the family. 

By all accounts, Tremblant is some of the best skiing you can find. 

PA skiing, like NY skiing is spotty.  You have to get a good snowfall to have a truly good day.  Or if you enjoy the crunch hardpacked stuff and some ice.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 12:16:39 PM »
I believe camelback is in PA.  They have both day and night lift tickets, and have an awesome half-pipe. 
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

ohwellok

• Sr. Citizen
  • the cutest beagle in the whole wide world!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 08:51:53 PM »
anyone know anything about snowshoe in west va?

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 09:05:14 PM »

First of all, never, ever, ever refer to it as "Mount" Tremblant. It is Mont, and the locals would be offended. I would also suggest that, as an American, you display a modicum of shame on behalf of your government, regardless of whether or not you support/endorse them. This will make your experience much more easier.

Now, for the actual skiing. It is one of the largest skiable areas in North America, though not the highest elevation. It is however much better than just about anything you can find in VT, and the resort aspect of it adds immeasurable cachet. Ok, it's a little tacky (like Disneyworld / cardboard villages). And be ready to shell out the big $$, especially during christmas time. Just be aware that off-mountain accomodations will be much more reasonably priced.

Also noteworthy: it gets cold up there. No ... really: damn cold. Not USA cold, Quebec cold. Case and point: my brother is nuts, certifiable. He actually skied at get this ... -75C (including wind chill). That translates to -101 F. Only one run, but still. And this is the absolute record I've heard, and only once. And in late Jan early Feb, which is the coldest period. For Christmas, you could easily get -20C, and you should certainly not count on anything warmer than -10C. If you're going with kids, this counts.

And finally, I suggest ditching the family one evening to patronize the fine "Faucon Bleu", the local stripper joint.
Penn (2007)

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 09:25:22 PM »
anyone know anything about snowshoe in west va?

It's pretty decent.  It's better than Winterplace, that's for sure.