Law School Discussion

Chapman law or USD law

Chapman law or USD law
« on: April 21, 2017, 01:00:29 AM »
Hello,

Just got accepted to both Chapman and USD law. Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on which school I should attend. While Chapman law is offering a full ride, USD is offering 5k a year.

Thanks,

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
Re: Chapman law or USD law
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 06:50:34 AM »
Hello,

Just got accepted to both Chapman and USD law. Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on which school I should attend. While Chapman law is offering a full ride, USD is offering 5k a year.

Thanks,

Briefly-

UC Davis is a better school, with better employment prospects. BUT ... that's a lot of money to turn up. Review the terms and conditions of the free ride at Chapman; it is almost assuredly predicated on maintaining some type of class standing. Check to see what it is (minimum GPA, etc.) and review what the curve is at Chapman. Everyone assumes that X Gpa is easy because of undergrad, forgetting about the forced curve- law school GPAs are not the same.

Assuming the terms and conditions of the free ride are not too onerous, I would probably go with Chapman. The increase in quality of UC-Davis just isn't enough to pass up a free ride. IMO.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 10:37:03 AM »
By USD I think you mean San Diego, not Davis?

As between USD at close to sticker price and Chapman for free, I'd take Chapman in a heartbeat. Frankly, neither school can justify the obscene tuition they charge, so I'd go for the cheapest option. Your job prospects graduating from either school will be very similar, with an advantage to USD if you want to live in SD. I don't think many employers draw a big distinction between these schools, they operate on a fairly similar level. 

I'm surprised that if you had the numbers to get a full ride from Chapman, that you did not get a better offer from USD. Their admissions numbers are not too disparate.

Last note: be prepared to live and work in Southern California. I don't know where you are from, but these are not exactly the kinds of schools that will land you job interviews in NYC (or at big firms) based on pedigree. Not really a big deal, but something to be aware of.

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 02:05:44 PM »
By USD I think you mean San Diego, not Davis?

As between USD at close to sticker price and Chapman for free, I'd take Chapman in a heartbeat. Frankly, neither school can justify the obscene tuition they charge, so I'd go for the cheapest option. Your job prospects graduating from either school will be very similar, with an advantage to USD if you want to live in SD. I don't think many employers draw a big distinction between these schools, they operate on a fairly similar level. 

I'm surprised that if you had the numbers to get a full ride from Chapman, that you did not get a better offer from USD. Their admissions numbers are not too disparate.

Last note: be prepared to live and work in Southern California. I don't know where you are from, but these are not exactly the kinds of schools that will land you job interviews in NYC (or at big firms) based on pedigree. Not really a big deal, but something to be aware of.

Good catch- I must have immediately read that as UC-Davis (UCD), not USD, as you correctly note.

Agreed.