Law School Discussion

International student recieved a disciplinary probation. Help!!

Hi! I'm an international student studying in the U.S. I recently received a disciplinary probation for causing a disturbance which required police attention. that was my charge. What basically happened that day was my girlfriend and I were in  my room. Put a little crudely, we got very loud and the RA who outside my room at that time,  dialled 911 thinking my girlfriend was getting assaulted. The police came and questioned both of us and left. My girlfriend and i thought that was it because the police report that followed said there was no evidence of sexual or relational violence and this is also stated in the university report. However, the university gave me disciplinary probation on the charges mentioned above. My question is : will this prevent me from getting into a top law school? I basically feel like my entire future is ruined because of this and no matter how many times my girlfriend and I explain to them, they refuse to accept this as a misunderstanding. Will this seriously affect my chances in law school admissions?

Re: International student recieved a disciplinary probation. Help!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »
Hi! I'm an international student studying in the U.S. I recently received a disciplinary probation for causing a disturbance which required police attention. that was my charge. What basically happened that day was my girlfriend and I were in  my room. Put a little crudely, we got very loud and the RA who outside my room at that time,  dialled 911 thinking my girlfriend was getting assaulted. The police came and questioned both of us and left. My girlfriend and i thought that was it because the police report that followed said there was no evidence of sexual or relational violence and this is also stated in the university report. However, the university gave me disciplinary probation on the charges mentioned above. My question is : will this prevent me from getting into a top law school? I basically feel like my entire future is ruined because of this and no matter how many times my girlfriend and I explain to them, they refuse to accept this as a misunderstanding. Will this seriously affect my chances in law school admissions?
Depends........are you a registered sexoffender due to this "misunderstanding" ?

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 07:08:40 AM »
Not enough information in this post.

As a usual rule, you have to disclose crimes and academic discipline. You will likely have to disclose this event to the law schools you apply to, and to any Bar that you take. You will need to be more candid than, "Put a little crudely, we got very loud[.]" Were you having loud consensual intercourse? Were you having a loud argument?

Assuming there are no other issues, so long as you are candid, this shouldn't be a bar for admission to a school, or admission to a bar.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 09:06:34 AM »
Someone called 911 and the university gave you "disciplinary probation" just because you made some noise?

In any case, as Loki stated both law schools and the bar will require you to report any such disciplinary actions. I doubt that this alone would keep you out of law school. The bar will require a more in depth answer, and will probably want the police report and university report, etc. It is important that you be 100% honest. They will forgive many things, but not lying.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 04:52:07 PM »
I agree, when in doubt OVER disclose. There may be no record to worry about, but ASSUME there is. OVER disclose!!!