Law School Discussion

Brooklyn vs. Rutgers Newark

Brooklyn vs. Rutgers Newark
« on: April 15, 2016, 11:21:22 AM »
Hi! I've been googling different variations of my question, but all of the discussion threads seem to be from 2007 and I want information that is more current. I'm trying to decide between going to Brooklyn or Rutgers Newark. I have a $15,000 scholarship to Brooklyn (need to stay in top 80%) and a $10,000 scholarship to Rutgers (need to maintain 2.67 cum.) So, that would put Brooklyn at about $30,000 a year and Rutgers at about $16,000, so about half the price. I've visited Brooklyn but I have not had the chance to visit Rutgers. I really liked Brooklyn when I visited. They had a welcoming environment, it was in a nice area, and it seemed like there is a great alumni network/job prospects (although, what admissions counselor ISN'T going to tell you those things about their school).

I'm not really interested in BigLaw. I'd like a job in public interest or government work, specifically dealing with women's rights/women's issues (maybe sexual violence, domestic violence, etc.) I also love NYC and would be really interested in working there. So, my question is does either school have an upper-hand in helping me reach these specific career goals? Is Brooklyn worth paying almost double the money if I want to work in NYC? I'm really conflicted and don't know what to do.

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
Re: Brooklyn vs. Rutgers Newark
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 02:11:22 PM »
Let's see-

In the pre-crash days, Brooklyn was considered a better school (in terms of the "quality" of the student body, assuming you believe LSAT + uGPA = quality). However, post-crash, Rutgers/Newark is the equal of it. Rutgers has better employment numbers (getting a job) and even does better, now, in clerkships and "BigLaw." Brooklyn places most of the their students in New York state (duh), and Rutgers/Newark places about half in NJ, a quarter in NY.

So, what does this all mean? Well, I always say that the two things that matter most are cost and location. The locations are similar- if you want a NY job out of Rutgers, you will get it. So I'd make the decision base on cost (also cost of living- assume Rutgers/Newark is lower).

Finally- regarding the scholarship; remember that the curve is a 3.0, so a 2.67 is not *necessarily* a given as it is at some schools, but at least it doesn't mean you have to finish in the top half.

(As for me- I'd go with the money; Brooklyn doesn't offer enough advantage, and, TBH, I don't think your career plans are likely well-formed enough yet -"public interest of government work"- for you to pass that money up. Because if you're not going into a remunerative field, student debt can be a heckuva thing.)

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 12:11:07 PM »
(As for me- I'd go with the money; Brooklyn doesn't offer enough advantage, and, TBH, I don't think your career plans are likely well-formed enough yet -"public interest of government work"- for you to pass that money up. Because if you're not going into a remunerative field, student debt can be a heckuva thing.)

Agreed.

I don't think the slight variations in reputation or geography are enough to justify an increased debt load. Both schools have very similar reputations, are located in roughly the same metro area, and will offer almost identical educations. The post-grad employment prospects (which you should look at, BTW) are also pretty similar.

I'd be inclined to take the cheapest degree.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »
Hi! I've been googling different variations of my question, but all of the discussion threads seem to be from 2007 and I want information that is more current. I'm trying to decide between going to Brooklyn or Rutgers Newark. I have a $15,000 scholarship to Brooklyn (need to stay in top 80%) and a $10,000 scholarship to Rutgers (need to maintain 2.67 cum.) So, that would put Brooklyn at about $30,000 a year and Rutgers at about $16,000, so about half the price. I've visited Brooklyn but I have not had the chance to visit Rutgers. I really liked Brooklyn when I visited. They had a welcoming environment, it was in a nice area, and it seemed like there is a great alumni network/job prospects (although, what admissions counselor ISN'T going to tell you those things about their school).

I'm not really interested in BigLaw. I'd like a job in public interest or government work, specifically dealing with women's rights/women's issues (maybe sexual violence, domestic violence, etc.) I also love NYC and would be really interested in working there. So, my question is does either school have an upper-hand in helping me reach these specific career goals? Is Brooklyn worth paying almost double the money if I want to work in NYC? I'm really conflicted and don't know what to do.

Brooklyn law school is going to be a better choice regarding opportunity, particularly in the area of women's rights.  You are going to have more connections and advantages in the Brooklyn location--

Remember location location location.
Plus diversity of Brooklyn is better...you are going to have downtown Brooklyn and the legal apparatus of NYC at your doorstep.

And you will make connections faster in bls and not have to spend time in transitions...

Plant your corn close to home and in verdant pastures.

Why take many steps going to Rutgers when you will have to take many to get out of there..

Also! As far as living everyday in a stimulating environment--Rutgers is a slow drag.  Visit the area--buy a car--you are going to want to escape occasionally.

Good luck.

I'd choose bls.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 01:23:15 AM »
When in doubt, go to TaftU ::)