Law School Discussion

University of La Verne

University of La Verne
« on: March 15, 2016, 12:20:25 PM »
It looks like another law school has been added to the mix. The University of La Verne received full ABA accreditation today. A buddy of mine is a graduate, and shared the press release.

That's great for ULV, but damn, the so cal market is getting crowded. That makes something like ten ABA schools in the greater LA area?

The one advantage they have is that they're the only school in the Inland Empire, and they have a huge alumni network there.

Anyway, congrats to ULV.

Re: University of La Verne
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 01:13:57 PM »
Good for it, I know a lot of really smart and good attorneys from La Verne.

I also think its placement in the Inland Empire, gives it a pretty big advantage, because very few people want to move there. However, if you went to school in the area employment options are probably not bad.

Just like Cal-Northern a CBA accreddited school does well in Chico and San Joaquian Valley College of Law does great in San Joaquin Valley.

If La Verne was in Downtown L.A and competing with UCLA, USC, LMU, Southwestern, Pepperdine etc then it would be tough, but even Western State and Chapman do fine in Orange County and La Verne has its little niche as well.

Re: University of La Verne
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 01:57:03 PM »
I took Barbri at La Verne because it was the closest to my house and I didn't have to commute to LA. At that time they had provisional ABA accreditation. The students, faculty and facilities all seemed on par with any other ABA school I'd been to.

Later, I got a job in the Inland Empire and got to know a lot of ULV grads. Tons of the DAs/PDs/judges etc in that area are ULV grads and the school has been around long enough that it has a good reputation in the area.

I do think, however, that one of the Orange County schools will probably go bye bye in the not too distant future. OC is a small market, and they have four ABA schools. Whittier, in particular, has had problems. It wouldn't surprise me if they closed shop at some point.