Law School Discussion

Pitt vs. Duquesne

Pitt vs. Duquesne
« on: March 19, 2016, 03:57:12 PM »
I'm currently on the fence between Pitt and Duquesne. I have a full tuition scholarship to both schools and am currently a Duquesne Undergraduate student. Can anyone offer any insight as to which school they would choose and why? Thank you for your help!

Re: Pitt vs. Duquesne
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 07:54:21 AM »
Look into the job placement from both schools and the median salaries... I'm a 0L, but that should help you make the decision.  I personally feel that Pitt Law is better respected throughout western PA than Duquesne Law, but that may just be me.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 01:41:31 PM »
They are both in Pittsburgh and from my understanding equally good schools.

I guess one thing to really look at are the stipulations of the scholarship. If it is something like you must maintaina  3.0, be a little careful. Most incoming law students think they will get a 3.0 no problem, but when you go to law school everyone will be very smart, hardworking and motivated. This is relevant, because typically the law school curve only allows about 1/3 of the class to get a 3.0, which means if there is a 3.0 requirement there is a 66.6% chance you will not keep your scholarship for year two and three. This is nothing personal, but just the reality on the first day of class 100% of law students are sure they will be in the top 10% and there is no way they will not in at least the top third, but you do not have to be a math major to see how that plays out.

So one thing to do is review the stipulations of the scholarship.

Also, the culture of the school is important if you really liked Duquesne undergrad and did well there, why move? If you are eager to go to a bigger school then UPitt offers that. The actual legal education will be the same you will take Torts, Criminla Law, Civil Procedure etc at either school and typically when ABA schools are in the same city the same professor teaches at both schools. So I assume at either school you will have the same professor and read from the same textbook.

In summary there is no "right" choice, both schools will provide you with an opportunity to succeed. However, at the end of the day you will have to choose one and you will always wander what would happen if you choose differently, and you will simply never know, but it will likely end up fine.

If you want a little more reading material here is a great article on how to choose a law school. http://www.legalmatch.com/choose-the-right-law-school.html

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »
I tend to agree with Citylaw, I doubt that there is too much difference between the schools. Pitt may have a slightly stronger rep, I don't really know.

I would look at the scholarship retention rates at each school, and the scholarship stipulations as Citylaw said. If one is easier to retain, I'd be inclined to take that one.