Law School Discussion

LLM thoughts?

LLM thoughts?
« on: March 16, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
I am wondering...How useful is the LLM for someone with, say, a T14 degree, an MA in Conflict Resolution, who already has a pretty decent job teaching paralegals at a community college? I am asking for a friend. No, not really.

Re: LLM thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 09:39:32 AM »
It depends on what you want to do with the LLM. Are you looking for tenure track law school gig, getting into the private sector, etc. An LLM in what?

Generally, I don't think LLMs are all that useful, at least not enough to justify the cost. The exceptions would be Tax and Natural Resources/Environmental.

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 12:03:31 PM »
It depends on what you want to do with the LLM. Are you looking for tenure track law school gig, getting into the private sector, etc. An LLM in what?

Generally, I don't think LLMs are all that useful, at least not enough to justify the cost. The exceptions would be Tax and Natural Resources/Environmental.

I would say that the only truly useful LLMs (outside of tenure track law school, and even those are marginal) is the Tax LLM, and even those are only good from specific schools.

I've known attorneys that have practiced in environmental law successfully; none of them needed an LLM. It doesn't hurt, but (unlike tax law) I don't see it as being worth the money.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 12:40:10 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts. I had caught the school bug again a little after taking a few law MOOCs, so I thought why not look into an LLM. After searching last night, the programs out there do not impress me. My goal is to continue teaching and get yet another extra credential in something somewhat interesting.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 08:47:20 PM »
IMHO the LLM is 100% USELESS unless you are required to get it due to being a foreign trained attorney

but IF someone wanted it, then try to get it joint JD/LLM to at least mitigate the time/money involved.