Law School Discussion

Is Kaplan's course worth it?? PLEASE HELP!

Is Kaplan's course worth it?? PLEASE HELP!
« on: January 06, 2016, 07:18:43 PM »
I took the LSAT in October and didn't do to well. I studied using the powerscore bibles, but I never really learned how to master anything besides the easy problems and some of the moderate ones, beyond the easier stuff I sort of got lost in how to solve the problems. I'm usually the type of student who benefits a lot more from being in a class, but I am not sure if Kaplan's methods are sufficient, or if the teachers are any good.  I know that powerscore classes and other prep classes are superior to Kaplan, but Kaplan is the only class that is available in my area and I absolutely have to improve at least 5 points and at least get above a 150 to be competitive.

Can anyone give some insight on Kaplan's prep course? Did you improve your score? If not, were the materials they provided enough to at least study on your own effectively? I start the course Sunday the 10th.

Re: Is Kaplan's course worth it?? PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 08:28:10 PM »
I took Kaplan and found it to be sufficient. Not awesome, but definitely helpful. For me, the classes were okay, but what I really liked was the Kaplan study center.

They had one nearby, and I was able to spend all day studying in relative peace and quiet (as opposed to the college or public library). They also have tons of old LSATs that you can take and get immediately graded with a breakdown on your strengths and weaknesses. Also, there was always at least one LSAT instructor available as well as the other students, so you could always get feedback.

I know a lot of people don't like Kaplan, but I found it useful. My score went up quite a bit from my diagnostic, which I think was 154. Specifically, I found Kaplan to be helpful with reading comp. I don't think I would have figured out the best approach to that on my own.

Anyway, your mileage may vary.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 10:07:33 PM »
My opinion tends to be an unpopular one, but unless you have tons of disposable time and money (student loans don't pay for it) just do an online one that is cheaper. If your practice scores are low and you can't fix it on your own THEN get a proctor or do in person. Most people with any focus and self discipline can figure it out from even a book, and heck online tends to have interactive explanations to their answer and stuff. Its almost BETTER than a real life person if covering the exact same stuff IMHO (they tend to get mad if you show up naked and drunk at 1AM asking questions)

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 09:13:07 AM »
I took Kaplan and found it to be sufficient. Not awesome, but definitely helpful. For me, the classes were okay, but what I really liked was the Kaplan study center.

They had one nearby, and I was able to spend all day studying in relative peace and quiet (as opposed to the college or public library). They also have tons of old LSATs that you can take and get immediately graded with a breakdown on your strengths and weaknesses. Also, there was always at least one LSAT instructor available as well as the other students, so you could always get feedback.

I know a lot of people don't like Kaplan, but I found it useful. My score went up quite a bit from my diagnostic, which I think was 154. Specifically, I found Kaplan to be helpful with reading comp. I don't think I would have figured out the best approach to that on my own.

Anyway, your mileage may vary.

Good to know. Anyway, I take the test on February 6th do you think it is possible to increase my score at least 5 points preferably 8 to 10 pts?

My October Lsat was bad ( upper 140s) my practice tests were lower 150s so I definitely underachieved a little bit on the real thing. I'm not looking to set the world on fire and get into the 170s or anything, I just need to get into the mid 150s to get in somewhere half decent. I'm willing to put in the work and do tons of practice exercises and tests. That's were I'm hoping Kaplan will at least provide me with the resources (decent teacher, materials, etc.).

Basically I could get into one school not too far away with my current score (Widener)they take lower scores and are an ABA school, but my preference is Rutgers-Camden and Drexel because they are better, closer, and cheaper, but I need to be in the mid 150s.

But yes, good to know that Kaplan is decent and thank you for responding!