Law School Discussion

LSAT Score Theory

HerculePoirot

• One must seek the truth from within--not without
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT Score Theory
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 08:47:00 AM »
Um, this makes no sense. Can you define what exactly it means to "make it"?

Ummm...make 1 million dollars??? :)
wait......................you didn't even finish law school?
And now you think LSAT Score alone makes money???

Are you going to tell us WHY you stopped going, or shall we be forced to make assumptions? What was YOUR LSAT score?

You don't need to take the LSAT to do that. Scoring higher than 160 is likely to set you back about a quarter mil anyway. :)

Valid point.  I attended USC law school for a semester and that put me back 15k.

I didn't finish law school because I wanted to be a musician.  I scored a 166.

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 10:39:20 AM »
At the risk of feeding trolls here, how far into law school did you make it and with what gpa?
HOW did dropping out become needed to be a musician?

And if you scored a 166 and FAILED at it, isn't that the POLAR OPPOSIT of your theory??????

HerculePoirot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 12:23:01 PM »
At the risk of feeding trolls here, how far into law school did you make it and with what gpa?

And if you scored a 166 and FAILED at it, isn't that the POLAR OPPOSIT of your theory??????

I dropped out during finals week.  No gpa  :'(

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 10:04:13 PM »

wait................whut?
Of first semester? Why finals week? This makes no sense. There is no refund for the term at that point and you might as well sit it and see how you do. Did you KNOW you'd fail?

HerculePoirot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 07:58:33 AM »

Of first semester? Why finals week? This makes no sense. There is no refund for the term at that point and you might as well sit it and see how you do. Did you KNOW you'd fail?

Well, I wasn't sure about dropping out.  But I was certain that I would flunk.  Better to drop out and get W's, then flunk out and get F's.  Yeah, it stinks that I lost money. 

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 09:08:27 AM »

No offense, but ...

Not sure the best advice comes from someone who didn't even succeed at one semester of law school.

Personally, I think that the LSAT is a very good predictor of law school success. And law school success, in large part, drives practice success in many ways. But it's not the end-all, be-all, as it doesn't measure other qualities that also impact the practice. Oral advocacy skills. Work ethic. And, most importantly, networking/charisma.

I've personally known litigators that couldn't argue their way out of a paper bag that were amazingly successful because they were rainmakers- they could drive business. They could counsel clients. Other people make up for, what they lack in pure legal reasoning, with an amazing work ethic. And so on. Of course, there's the flip side of that as well; people that can be brilliantly insightful, but lack in other areas and never fully take flight in the profession.

What does it mean? It means that if you don't score well on the LSAT, you should seriously consider your options. Because it does measure attributes which matter. Think about the cost/benefit. But you don't need a federal clerkship and BigLaw to be a great practicing attorney. Heck, the very wealthiest attorneys are usually a small subset of Plaintiff's attorneys- and they certainly aren't federal clerkship/Biglaw material.

Well, I wasn't sure about dropping out.  But I was certain that I would flunk.  Better to drop out and get W's, then flunk out and get F's.  Yeah, it stinks that I lost money.

HerculePoirot

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 09:40:36 AM »

No offense, but ...

Not sure the best advice comes from someone who didn't even succeed at one semester of law school.

Personally, I think that the LSAT is a very good predictor of law school success. And law school success, in large part, drives practice success in many ways. But it's not the end-all, be-all, as it doesn't measure other qualities that also impact the practice. Oral advocacy skills. Work ethic. And, most importantly, networking/charisma.

I've personally known litigators that couldn't argue their way out of a paper bag that were amazingly successful because they were rainmakers- they could drive business. They could counsel clients. Other people make up for, what they lack in pure legal reasoning, with an amazing work ethic. And so on. Of course, there's the flip side of that as well; people that can be brilliantly insightful, but lack in other areas and never fully take flight in the profession.

What does it mean? It means that if you don't score well on the LSAT, you should seriously consider your options. Because it does measure attributes which matter. Think about the cost/benefit. But you don't need a federal clerkship and BigLaw to be a great practicing attorney. Heck, the very wealthiest attorneys are usually a small subset of Plaintiff's attorneys- and they certainly aren't federal clerkship/Biglaw material.

True.  It might be wise to take my advice with a grain of salt.  After all, I did drop out.  And you make some valid points.  The LSAT doesn't measure oratory skills.  However, I still believe that it could be THE most important exam for an aspiring attorney. 

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 01:55:18 PM »
So you DID NOT do it "to be a musician"
I heard about you, you were an urban legend for awhile-you are female aren't you?? (if so, I know people who know yoru real name, but don't worry I could out you publicly but feel free to PM me if you want)

Why didn't you go back? The school that you went to offers a 5 year plan on weekends/one night a week options.
Afterall, what difference does a W vs an F make it "better" if you never plan to go back??

"Fortuna Audaces Iuvat!!!!!!!!!!!"

HerculePoirot

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 02:22:44 PM »
I heard about you, you were an urban legend for awhile-you are female aren't you?? (if so, I know people who know yoru real name, but don't worry I could out you publicly but feel free to PM me if you want)

Why didn't you go back? The school that you went to offers a 5 year plan on weekends/one night a week options.
Afterall, what difference does a W vs an F make it "better" if you never plan to go back??

No, I am not a female.  And who knows?  Maybe I will go back.

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 03:06:32 PM »

No, I am not a female.  And who knows?  Maybe I will go back.
ok,then you aren't the person I was thinking of. That's ok.

How long have you been out? Why only a "maybe". I still don't grasp this.