Law School Discussion

C&F Question

C&F Question
« on: January 04, 2016, 03:22:28 PM »
I'm finishing up undergrad (Junior) and considering law school. I was looking into the specifics of getting a law degree and passing the Bar. I have saw the requirements for the Character and Fitness portion and I'm now concerned. When applying to college, I added an extra curricular to my application, that at the time was planned to occur in that summer (I applied in October and was accepted in December). It was a competition for an organization I was already involved in. We discussed forming a team and competing at an event that summer but it fell through that spring. I never updated my application because I had been accepted by that point and didn't think it would particularly matter. Clearly I should not have added something if there was a possibility of it falling through. I'm now afraid that I will have a character & fitness issue to deal with. Please advise!

Re: C&F Question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 04:33:36 PM »
I don't what state you're in (the rules vary), but this sounds like a VERY minor issue. The main thing with the C&F is to disclose everything up front: the good, the bad and the ugly.

For the most part, the bar is looking for major red flags: arrests, academic discipline, expulsions, that type of thing. Even those issues might not be a barrier as log as the applicant is completely honest. Be sure to check with your specific state bar, but as long as you are honest about it and fully disclose, I doubt if it will be an issue.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 04:49:26 PM »
I am in NC and have heard that the C&F here is pretty tough. Do you think I should I disclose this to my current undergrad school (I haven't), on future law school applications, on the bar application or all of the above?

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 06:55:35 PM »
Check with your state bar and see what they require. Just remember: when in doubt, disclose. The bar can be forgiving of many things, but if they think you're being dishonest you're in trouble.

You will almost certainly need to disclose on the bar app, not sure about the others. Maybe.

You will probably have to send in an addendum to the bar app, and it may hold things up. They may ask follow up questions. Again, as long as you are completely honest I doubt that this will be a serious problem. People get admitted with far bigger issues.

Contact the NC state bar and get the info straight from the horse's mouth, don't rely on anyone on the interwebs to provide more than casual commentary. Good luck, I think you'll be fine!

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 07:26:00 AM »
sunshinetoday12,

Your original post was a little hard to parse. That said, at worst it is minor, at best, it is nothing. Allow me to explain.

It is unclear what you wrote on your UG application regarding the extracurricular, and how it was phrased. Let me give you an example.
-Currently a member of high school debate society. Will be participating in Summer League tournament.

Or-
-Member in high school debate society; participant in summer league tournament.

The first is a conditional that fell through. That happens. The other is slightly more concerning due to phrasing.

That said, I wouldn't worry about it. I mean, it's good that you're worrying! But unless there are details that I am missing, this is de minimis. Literally, unless this was some giant big deal that was the crown jewel of your application (?), which I am having trouble seeing, from what you have related, it's no big deal.

Again, I would just apply to law school. Get in. Once you're in, speak to your PR prof or contact the applicable state bar regarding this issue. While different state bars have different standards (from "I'll allow it" to "Ve Vill Scour Your Facebook"), this isn't the type of issue that disqualifies.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 11:37:52 AM »
This is one of those things that if you disclose will not be any issue whatsoever.

You thought something was going to happen it didn't and people that have been arrested and charged with crimes have passed the Moral Character process.

Misrepresenting that you were part of a extracurricular club is not going to destroy your legal career.

I guess your college application then alleges you were part of a club in high school, which would mean you were not even 18 at the time of the application.

So really this is a minimal issue. Take the LSAT, get the best grades you possibly can and apply to law school.

This is really a non-issue and if it ever comes up be honest, but I don't ever recall anyone in the process asking for my college application.