Law School Discussion

International degree equivalence

International degree equivalence
« on: November 08, 2015, 11:26:23 AM »
Hi everybody !

I am from France and i will own my first degree in law (three years). I register to the LSAC and will soon have my transcript records 'cause i sent it few days ago. However I am wondering if my degree will be sufficient enough to get into law school due to the fact that US students complete 4 years before accessing a graduate program. So here is my question: Is my licence (three year degree) will be sufficient enough for law schools (at least some of them) ?

Re: International degree equivalence
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 09:43:21 AM »
I don't think your three-year degree will be a problem, as many foreign students enroll in U.S. law schools with similar degrees.

One potential issue, however, is whether or not you will be able to enroll in a J.D. program as opposed to an LL.M. Most foreign students who already have a law degree enroll in LL.M programs. I might be wrong about this, but I believe that you cannot enter a J.D. program if you already possess a first degree in law.

Were you looking at LL.M programs?

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 06:00:31 PM »
Ok thanks ! No i actually wanted to enroll in a J.D program but that might be an issue i have to check this out

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 06:11:59 PM »
I knew a number of french students that simply enrolled in LLM programs at my school, which upon completion allowed them to sit for the California Bar Exam.

The LLM program only requires one year of study in the U.S. before being able to sit for the bar exam in California, not sure of the requirements in other states.

I imagine if you really wanted to enroll in a three year J.D. program in the U.S. after completing a French Law Degree schools would likely be happy to accept tuition payments for three years instead of one, but I assume the reason most of my French friends did the LLM program was to finish the program in one year opposed to three.

As I tell anyone internet posters like myself and Maintain can offer some general helpful advice, but you will get real answers from the law school admissions office at the schools you are interested in.

If you want to move to New York after finishing your French J.D. reach out to the NY Law schools, NYU, New York Law, Cardozo, Columbia, Fordham, Hofstra to name a few and see what the say. The admissions department at each school will no the admission requirements of their school far better than internet posters like myself and Maintain.

Good luck in your legal career