Law School Discussion

Evidence Why 0L's shoudl not use Rankings

Re: Evidence Why 0L's shoudl not use Rankings
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 12:22:46 PM »
I have no big issue with the rankings at the end of the day they developed a  good for them. I wish I would have thought of it, but I believe students should not consider when choosing what school to attend.

I suppose as LOKI suggests if you want to use it as a guide for schools to apply to then it could be beneficial, but  I think most 0L's give it far more importance than that, which is no fault of U.S. News. They are just giving their opinion and getting paid well to give it.

As a sidenote to LOKI's response I applied to about 30 schools, because I attended an LSAC forum and got more fee waivers than I knew what to do with.  I highly recommend any OL attend an LSAC forums if it is convenient, because they hand out fee waivers if you just stop by their booth.

In summary, if 0L's are using it to determine what schools then there is nothing wrong with that or even if 0L's use it as a tiebreaker, but when OL's make the mistake I did of making the rankings a primary factor in their life altering decision is where issues arise.

As evidenced by my own experience the rankings also change drastically and two of the schools have no completely changed entirely Franklin Pierce Law School is now University of New Hampshire and Texas Wesleyan is now Texas A & M.
Other schools ranks changed by 50 plus spots and the actual ranking system changed entirely as well. It used to only go to 100 now it goes to 150. The ranking system in 2008 when I was applying consisted of Tier 1; Tier 2; Tier 3; and Tier 4 schools. That has no completely changed U.S. News now ranks 150 schools out of 200 and leaves the remaining 50 with a rankings not published distinction.

That all in seven years. I graduated in 2011 and am coming up on only my fourth year as a lawyer and the ranking of my school has changed drastically, as has the system so to any 0L please don't let it be a major factor in your decision.

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 06:25:51 PM »
If rankings went away, nothing would change. People KNEW which ones were the good ones and which ones were the lower ones LONG before rankings.

Those with 170 LSAT would still end up in different schools than those with 140 LSATs. Life would continue as normal. No one would suddenly think Cooley is Harvard or that Taft is U of M.

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 05:06:03 PM »
It is your own desire, grit, hard work, and potential that will ultimately determine where you go.

I know plenty of people who didn't graduate college and harvard grads are applying to work for them. As for law school, some of the most respected attorneys I know didn't go to top law schools. But that criteria has importance attached for some people.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 11:35:52 AM »
If used properly it has some merit i.e. you know if you were choosing between Georgetown v. Penn or something maybe it matters, but it really doesn't matter at all when a law student is choosing between Gonzaga and Idaho.

I had heard at one point U.S. News did it like college sports and ranked the #25 teams so it was an honor to be ranked, which makes sense. However, there is a reason college basketball doesn't rank outside the top 25 there is simply no way to know if Cal State Northridge Basketball is a better team than Northern Texas Basketball. They are both D1 schools with good players, but far from elite programs.