Law School Discussion

Is anyone else just plain tired of Erin Brockovich?

Is anyone else just plain tired of Erin Brockovich?
« on: September 09, 2015, 05:33:15 PM »
She never went to law school, probably illegally practiced law at multiple times (or at least pushed the envelope way beyond its limit), became "famous" in the public eye for letting a movie be made about her where she (at best) was portrayed as what exactly, an educated tramp and horrible mother who screamed and cursed with her cleavage hanging out, got lucky, and let her kids be left unattended by transient druggie bikers??

Sheesh. If Honey BooBoos mom had been thinner, this would be her IMHO.
http://news.yahoo.com/erin-brockovich-tours-navajo-nation-mine-waste-spill-172015929.html
But she's in the news again, cuz ya know, she has to be.

Re: Is anyone else just plain tired of Erin Brockovich?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 01:25:08 PM »
Erin Brokovich protected people and did not exploit her child on national television so a bit of difference. Personally, now I like her story and pushing the envelope is what lawyers are supposed to do, but not enough do.  Instead, it is up to people like Erin Brokovich, Gidieon (see gidieon v. wainwright), and countless others that have to fight for themselves, because lawyers are to scared to make a profit than to fight for what is right.  Once the wheels get going then a lawyer will come in, but in short now I am glad that she pushed the envelope I respect anyone who doesn't just sit around and moan about it being unfair.

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 02:07:06 PM »
She didn't DO anything though. The lawyers did. She just took credit. I (and most) cant recall the lawyers names. I don't doubt its on google, but no one googles it. Still, it reminds me of the CNA who pretends to be a Surgeon.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 02:17:45 PM »
She got the ball rolling, found the clients, found the issue, then handed it off to a lawyer.

Part of real practice is finding clients etc.

You can answer multiple choice questions in your law office all day and have an encyclopedic knowledge of every local, state, and federal statute and applicable caselaw. If you don't have any clients then it will not be used.

She did the legwork and the lawyers did the legalwork.

For most lawyers the legwork is the hard part.

I love going to court, arguing motions, etc.

I hate talking to clients, determining what they are or are not telling me, making sure payments come on time, blah blah that part sucks.

Erin did that and got the ball rolling. So she did something.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 03:12:45 PM »
The same way a CNA does stuff Surgeons don't want to do. But none of them deserve a spot light for it (but ALL THINK they do)

I just think she's butt ugly and not that clever and over hyped. But that is just me.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 04:25:06 PM »
Well if your not in the real world yet your support staff, paralegals, etc will do all the work and you better used to giving credit to other people if you want to succeed in the legal profession.

Your clients will want to credit, your paralegals, secretaries, etc will want praise.  Your the lawyer getting paid the most and that is your "spotlight" being responsible means being nice to people.  If your staff, judicial clerks, etc don't like you or you don't think they deserve credit your legal career won't go very far. 

People can give you a break or make your life difficult.  In law school you can be an ass, but piss off your secretary, or the file clerk, or clients tell us how it goes.

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 05:14:12 PM »
Well if your not in the real world yet your support staff, paralegals, etc will do all the work and you better used to giving credit to other people if you want to succeed in the legal profession.

Your clients will want to credit, your paralegals, secretaries, etc will want praise.  Your the lawyer getting paid the most and that is your "spotlight" being responsible means being nice to people.  If your staff, judicial clerks, etc don't like you or you don't think they deserve credit your legal career won't go very far. 

People can give you a break or make your life difficult.  In law school you can be an ass, but piss off your secretary, or the file clerk, or clients tell us how it goes.

Thus my CNA comparison (same real world for that too) changes JACK about what I said.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 10:12:21 PM »
Just saw her last thanksgiving up close and she is interesting

I am in a like her but sick of this woman . she helps people which us great but she us a publicity hound.

Some causes got to wait

Off topic but i can't stand publicity lawyer Dershowitz. He has a losing streak with human history.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 10:13:42 PM »
Ps. I know this is an old topic. I thought it was funny.  She is hyped up.