Law School Discussion

Why I picked an unaccredited law school

Re: Why I picked an unaccredited law school
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 05:33:31 PM »
My question is, if anyone knows anyone that graduated from this school and then was able to sit for the bar in a different state?

Well to answer my own question, researching, looks like there was a recent case where this one TN attorney took it to KY's Supreme Court after he was denied to sit for the KY bar after graduating from Nashville School of Law.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ky-supreme-court/1125622.html

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 06:07:02 PM »
My question is, if anyone knows anyone that graduated from this school and then was able to sit for the bar in a different state?

Well to answer my own question, researching, looks like there was a recent case where this one TN attorney took it to KY's Supreme Court after he was denied to sit for the KY bar after graduating from Nashville School of Law.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ky-supreme-court/1125622.html
please tell me that you see that for what it is
a snowball rolling uphill in lava.........

Don't assume that means that YOU can do it. It would require you to apply the same way, and MAYBE get the same results.

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 09:51:12 AM »
The fact is, the majority of state bars will be openly hostile to a non-ABA grad seeking entry. It may be unfair, but that's the way it is.

A handful of grads have spent considerable time and energy suing state bars and getting admitted, but this is an extremely laborious process and does not guarantee admission. I'm not even quite sure how they won, since state bars are permitted to restrict admission to the profession as long as the restrictions are legal. I suppose they made Constitutional arguments?

In any case, you probably should not attend a non-ABA school unless you are comfortable with the idea of practicing only in that particular state. California and a couple of other states will admit non-ABA grads, but you'll have to take that state's bar. 

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 10:49:42 AM »
100% agree with you Maintain and as to the unaccredited schools, as Maintain says you can sue and probably win the right to simply take a bar in another state after exerting a ton of time and energy to simply take the bar, which is a monumental task in and of itself.

So if you are attending a non-aba school that is state accredited be sure that is the state you want to be in.

As to how they won I am fairly certain they made Privilege & Immunity arguments, which resulted in them being able to sit for the bar, but not 100% sure.