Law School Discussion

seriously cal-bar F-U shortening the exam to two days

Re: seriously cal-bar F-U shortening the exam to two days
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2015, 12:58:05 PM »
I am talking about lawyers who give advise to AVOID court/arrest/etc. They are out there and very open about it. Replace with any other non legal act and its that simple. People who are still confused WANT to be confused on it.

I'm not sure that anyone here would disagree with you on that, but you earlier comments seemed more broadly construed.

Telling a client to ignore the court and not show up is definitely a breach, and I'm sure that there are some unethical immigration lawyers who do it. I've heard stories about shady lawyers telling people to claim political asylum just to slow down the process, etc., just like I've heard about crooked criminal lawyers, even family law. There was a case here in CA recently where an immigration attorney was disbarred and sent to federal prison for running a scam to bring people in illegally.

But I think this kind of stuff can be easily distinguished from a lawyer who simply uses legit avenues to zealously advocate for their client.

« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2015, 08:00:37 PM »
I don't doubt that people can justify any act, but I am glad you get what I was trying to say (even if it took awhile to get there) My point is that the MAJORITY of immigration attorneys I know do that, and I know law school Profs who get mad if you even question the idea of it.

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2015, 10:21:42 AM »
I don't doubt that people can justify any act, but I am glad you get what I was trying to say (even if it took awhile to get there) My point is that the MAJORITY of immigration attorneys I know do that, and I know law school Profs who get mad if you even question the idea of it.

Snakes formerly known as Pie,

I am not sure where you would get the information that a majority (either capitalized or uncapitalized) of immigration attorneys behave in such a manner. Of course, you have the qualification that it is the attorneys that you know- do unethical people gravitate toward one another? :P

« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2015, 01:51:38 PM »
Don't aid someone in a crime that is unethical.

Hypo #1
Lawyers contacts Mexican family and tells them don't bother filling out paperwork just sneak across the border and into my office, once you have entered illegally then I can fix everything. (No good he encouraged them to break the law and then he will fix it.)

Hypo #2
Mexican family illegally enters country and obtains housing, employment, etc then employer wants verification of immigration status. Family goes to attorney office and asks for help.  Attorney fills out paperwork goes to court do whatever he can within the law to keep the family employed and in America.  (Ok clients broke the law without attorney knowledge and committed the act attorney can advocate to protect them.)

If you create crime your in trouble, if the bad act already occurred then  an attorney can  use the legal tools available at their disposable to assist a client.

« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2015, 04:19:47 PM »
If you create crime your in trouble, if the bad act already occurred then  an attorney can  use the legal tools available at their disposable to assist a client.

Exactly.

I have no clue whether immigration lawyers are any more or less ethical than other lawyers, but I think you'll find that are unethical bums in every branch of law. I mean, c'mon, you think OJ came up with that stupid alibi all by himself?

« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2015, 08:29:19 PM »

Snakes formerly known as Pie,

I am not sure where you would get the information that a majority (either capitalized or uncapitalized) of immigration attorneys behave in such a manner. Of course, you have the qualification that it is the attorneys that you know- do unethical people gravitate toward one another? :P
that I know........I am seriously wondering why you lack basic level reading comp skills
spice of adhominem to compensate for lack of reading comp? Not unexpected. Use that on a cop next time he pulls you over, then the judge. See how it goes.

Back to the original topic, I still think its standard to be a two day test.

« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2015, 08:32:41 PM »

Exactly.

I have no clue whether immigration lawyers are any more or less ethical than other lawyers, but I think you'll find that are unethical bums in every branch of law. I mean, c'mon, you think OJ came up with that stupid alibi all by himself?
Not sure how this has confused anyone, was talking about an action, not attacking any group. Knee Jerk defenses people, once you know they exist you can try to overcome them.