Law School Discussion

seriously cal-bar F-U shortening the exam to two days

Re: seriously cal-bar F-U shortening the exam to two days
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 08:51:03 AM »
Honestly, I think only non ABA grads should have to take it. Wisconsin has the right idea.

I completely disagree.

Not everyone who manages to scrape by and earn their JD is fit to practice law. The bar exam serves as a weeding out process for those few who really should not be entrusted with handling the public's legal needs.

California has a notoriously difficult bar, but what about states with a 80-90% pass rate? If you can't pass an exam that 80-90% of your classmates passed, should you really be allowed to give legal advice?

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 09:01:41 AM »
" If you can't pass an exam that 80-90% of your classmates passed, should you really be allowed to give legal advice?"

Given the quality of lawyering, I have serious doubts about the abilities of those who pass the bar. I certainly don't want to make it easier.

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 10:38:21 AM »
Agreed passing the bar is certainly doable and I passed it so it is far from impossible.

There are some head shaking moments dealing with plenty of licensed lawyers and I think the current difficulty is fine.

I think some things could be changed such as taking the bar after your 2L. I think it sucks that you have to wait months to be a licensed attorney after graduating, but the exam itself is a good "bar" to practice law.

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 07:12:42 PM »

All that said, I know many attorneys who have never stepped foot in court, and never plan to.

I have met these types while doing Doc Review Jobs. Lifers with a decade solid in and still working side by side with people who were waiting on bar results, and normally only make $2 an hour more than the unlicensed JD's to do it. They scared me straight.

Doc Review should be MANDATORY for people waiting for bar results. Get scared straight kids. See your future and shiver.

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 07:14:25 PM »
" If you can't pass an exam that 80-90% of your classmates passed, should you really be allowed to give legal advice?"

Given the quality of lawyering, I have serious doubts about the abilities of those who pass the bar. I certainly don't want to make it easier.

I'd also point out that those numbers are hilariously off base.

loki13

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 07:27:44 AM »
"I'd also point out that those numbers are hilariously off base."

Not really. It depends on the jurisdiction and the school. My school's bar passage rate is approximately 90% every year. So, yeah, 90% of my classmates pass the bar.

If you look at jurisdictions, they average from 70-95% each year, with jurisdictions ranked from 18-48 in difficulty between 85-95%.

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 07:51:06 AM »
The top 4 schools or so in CA typically average that but afterwards there is a steep drop off.

loki13

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 08:14:27 AM »
"The top 4 schools or so in CA typically average that but afterwards there is a steep drop off."

Oh, I agree. But I thought we were talking about in general, not just for the CalBar.

"California has a notoriously difficult bar, but what about states with a 80-90% pass rate? If you can't pass an exam that 80-90% of your classmates passed, should you really be allowed to give legal advice?"

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 08:58:19 AM »
Oh, I agree: trying to get at your larger point that student and school quality matters, even with a tough bar like CA.

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 10:29:56 AM »
It is not as hard anymore so F-them for making me take the harder one.

It will be very interesting to see what the pass rates are in 2017 if this change actually takes effect.