Law School Discussion

Started prep course, have trouble with some material

Started prep course, have trouble with some material
« on: July 24, 2015, 04:13:45 PM »
Hi,
So I started taking a prep course by a well known company. Took my first practice test and got a 131.

Most of the concepts don't seem to compute to me.

Have been studying and when I think I got the right  answer, it turns out wrong.

Have been using their online resources for studying as well as the book they provided.

As of now, 1 week in, Logic games are a total loss to me.

Not looking to get a 160 or a170, just want to get a mark that will make me admissible.

Best to hire a tutor?

Just want to gain the skills that are needed to shoot my score up to the 150ish range.

I have some graduate degrees, so it's not that I'm a stranger to studying and homework.

But it seems that I'm at a loss here.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Re: Started prep course, have trouble with some material
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:16:07 PM »
Is  interactive prep course?

Can you contact the company and ask them?

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 10:33:49 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
It is an in person prep course, and I spoke to the instructor who basically told me if I don''t start grasping the concepts by next week, I'll end up falling behind in the class.

I do the required homework and drills, as well as watch their online videos, but with spotty (mostly poor) results.

Am even thinking about a private tutor.

Perhaps the instructor although a good instructor, doesn't seem to be a good fit for me. Other instructor's classes are full.

It's the first week and I'm already confused, I don't want the 2nd (and 3rd) to be even more confusing.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 03:22:52 PM »
I've got to be honest. I have concerns about whether law school is for you.

A 131 is in the 2nd-3rd percentile. It would take more than a significant improvement to get you into the average range.

Are there some particular concepts or a section that troubles you? You mentioned logic games. How are you doing in logical reasoning? That is the most important, of course. Are you able to apply concepts like the contrapositive, etc?

If you are having difficulty grasping week one LSAT class concepts, I must warn you that it is not going to be any easier in law school or preparing for the bar.

In another thread, you noted you have family obligations and are limited geographically to where you can go, both for law school and presumably to practice. Given the ongoing difficulties of the legal job market, and the fact that even a significant improvement would at best put you in the bottom tier of schools, I think it may be wise to consider why you wish to be an attorney.

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 04:06:51 PM »
Sit the exam no matter what
if you bomb it, boohoo, but at least sit it.

And don't drop the classes either. If you even only gain an extra two points of knowledge..........dang it that's two extra points bro!!

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 04:37:38 PM »
Sitting for the exam isn't terribly expensive, but if the OP has no shot at getting admitted to law school, then it wouldn't make sense to take the LSAT.

Comparatively, the LSAT class is a good bit of money. Whether OP should drop the class or not depends on if there is a refund available and the answer to the question about why OP wants to be an attorney. Any "knowledge" gained by going from a 131 to 133 on the LSAT is meaningless and is not worth $1000+ of tuition because neither will gain admission to an ABA-accredited school, which is the purpose of the LSAT class. If OP can identify specific concepts that are problematic and begin to make improvement, and also has a good reason for why OP wants to be an attorney, such as a realistic ability to get work, then I can maybe see toughing it out and trying to improve. We are talking about a fair bit of money.

If there are no refunds, then full steam ahead.

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 06:04:21 PM »
Once one already has entered the prep stage, its stupid NOT to finish it out IMHO

"but some one on the internet told me to stop.............."

:P

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 10:53:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

i VII, that's the way I feel...I'll stick it out regardless. No sense quitting now.

Groundhog, so far, I seem to have a big problem with diagramming the logic games, especially under the 35 minute time limit. Am so-so with the LR, but it's only been a week so far.

I have placed a call into the prep course's office and am waiting for a reply.

Any advice is appreciated.

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 01:03:57 PM »
I mean - if you just started studying, I wouldn't freak out too much. Give it your all and see what comes - that is literally all that you can do.

If towards the end, you see no improvement, you need to be real with yourself. As other posters have said, if you are having problems grasping basic LSAT fundamentals, you are facing more issues that a low LSAT score. Law school is not THAT intellectually difficult, but it does push you in specific ways. For all the problems that the LSAT has, it is actually good at measuring basic things that, without, you are unlikely to succeed. And I don't just mean in law school, I mean as a lawyer. If you are having issues connecting logical dots in logic games, just wait until you are given 100+ pages of bare-fact depositions and and a seemingly endless legal vacuum that is West Law.

But again, I would stick with it. It may just be a bad start or a high plateau that you need to reach.

Good luck!

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 05:05:49 PM »
"but some one on the internet told me to stop.............."

:P

The sad reality is that anonymous people on the Internet are going to be the only ones without a financial incentive to advise OP. If a law school candidate asks anyone involved in the law school industry the answer to, "Should I go to law school?" the answer is always yes, and here's how to pay.

It sounds like you have identified your areas of weakness. I don't know your abilities, but if you are determined then that's the other half of the battle.