Law School Discussion

UG transcript/grades/GPA

UG transcript/grades/GPA
« on: July 08, 2015, 01:50:23 AM »
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if getting an F seriously damages my chances of getting into a law school. I was keeping a nearly 4.0/4.0 GPA up till my third semester with few A-'s and A's, and mostly A+'s. However, I fell ill during the second semester in my freshmen year (chronic disorder that suddenly expressed itself a bit more intensely in the midst of the semester), and because I had to visit the doctors, I had a conflict in schedule with this one particular class.

It was already too late to withdraw from the class, so I ended up with an F. In the following semester, I retook that course and managed to receive an A, but there isn't much I can do to erase that "F" on the second semester.

I never received a B, let alone a C, in any of my classes, but I'm terrified that this F will ruin my life.

Am I terrified? Yes.
Are my chances of getting into law school compromised? I don't know...

You don't have to sugarcoat anything. Please enlighten me with the brutal reality and strike me with your honesty. If this is ruined, I'll cry some more, and try to find alternative ways to manage my life.

Thank you so much.

Re: UG transcript/grades/GPA
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 05:45:44 AM »
It will not affect you beyond hurting your GPA. If it's really that bad you can submit an addendum about it but it may be best to just see what happens.

Re: UG transcript/grades/GPA
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:30:28 AM »
One F does not ruin your chance for law school.

If you end with all A's and a F odds are your GPA will be something like 3.8-3.9, which is very competitive.

Honestly, You can have a 2.5 GPA in undergrad and get into law school with a solid LSAT score.

There was a similar post by LOKI I think on the issue of UG and how you should focus on learning and living life in undergrad don't get so wrapped up in the future. Do well, but don't worry so much college is awesome and so is law school, but if you get to wrapped up in the next steps you won't enjoy the present.

So bottom line is an "F" going to help? No. Are your chances of law school ruined? Not by a long-shot!

With that said will you actually end up attending law school? Maybe. College is a time when your goals etc change. When I was in college I was 100% sure I was going to be a cop.  There was no doubt in my mind and never in a million years did I think I would go to law school. My major was criminal justice and there were plenty of people dead set on attending law school that would never dream of being cops or law enforcement, but a lot of those people ended up being cops, FBI, and working for various law enforcement agencies and I ended up in law school.

Things change particularly in college so keep your head up. Do well in undergrad to keep your options open, but don't stress out to much. Focus on graduating, making friends and learning. You will not have a time in life like this again so enjoy it! : ) .

Re: UG transcript/grades/GPA
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 10:35:07 AM »
Relax. One F will not ruin your chances of getting into law school. Your GPA will barely be affected. A single point on the LSAT will probably have a bigger effect than a single F.

I never received a B, let alone a C, in any of my classes, but I'm terrified that this F will ruin my life.

Then be prepared for the shock of law school grades. No, seriously. Read up on it, talk to people in law school, etc. Getting A's in law school is the exception, not the norm. Grades are on curve and most people are a little shell shocked after the first semester.

I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but you sound a little overly concerned with grades and you seem to have greatly overestimated their impact on your life. It's alright, many college students do this. But, if you're this freaked out by grades then you need to understand what you're getting in to in terms of law school.

You're going to read a lot of stuff on the internet telling you that unless you graduate in the top 10% of your law school class you'll be flipping burgers, etc. It's BS, but you'll read it anyway and it seriously stresses out a lot of people. To paraphrase the great Citylaw, there is a 90% chance you won't be in the top 10%.

Undergrad is pretty easy. I know it may not seem like that now, but wait until law school. You'll see what I mean. I think it is therefore good for your emotional well being to understand how law school works before investing in it.

Re: UG transcript/grades/GPA
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 12:27:47 PM »
Great addition Maintain.

Yea I saw many people in law school as I am sure you did freak out when law school grades came out. When I got into law school my sole goal was not to fail out and I ended up in the top 10%. I think part of that was, because I was not that stressed about doing well. One of the main things law school teaches you is to get out of your own head and not over complicate things.  As most law students do you will read countless articles, post on boards from anonymous internet posters such as this, and spin your wheels in all kinds of ways that don't do anything positive or negative for you.   I could say the F will ruin your law school chances or that you will get into Harvard despite the F. What I or anyone else says on the internet doesn't matter, so don't get to wrapped up in it.

Maintain's primary point is that your not going to get straight A's in law school. I finished in the top 10% of my class and my GPA was a 3.5.  I guarantee you will not get straight A's in law school and if you do great, but there is about a 99.9% chance it will not happen. One thing that I think often hurts law students and lawyers is perfectionism. If you cannot handle failure once in awhile the law may not be for you. No lawyer wins every case, satisfies every client, or gets every question on the bar right, gets a 180 on the LSAT and gets straight A's through law school. You might think you will be the one that does, but it has never happened before and I would bet every dime I have on anyone ever doing that.

Michael Jordan failed in Basketball thousands of times, Tom Brady failed in football thousands of times, if you choose to attend law school you will make thousands of mistakes in law school and as a lawyer, but you have to be ok with that. If your not then law school might not be for you.

Re: UG transcript/grades/GPA
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 01:59:25 PM »
Resisting the urge to play  "Julie" here on this.............. 8)