Law School Discussion

URM non tradional

URM non tradional
« on: July 05, 2015, 08:20:42 PM »
Hi. I'm contemplating retaking in October or December for a 5 point boost.
I feel that  this  may not be entirely necessary for admission .
I'm applying to USF , GG and Santa Clara. I work in the health field , self employed and have great softs.
Please advise if you think I have a chance with these stats or if I should retake .

Re: URM non tradional 3.22 with 151
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 10:13:18 AM »
You definitely have a shot with your current numbers, especially at GGU. At USF and SCU it's less likely. I'm not sure what the general probabilities are at those schools, but 151 is far enough below their medians that it's less predictable.

URM status is a wild card and makes things even less predictable. Some URM classifications get a bigger boost than others, and it may help with scholarship money. It just depends.

Retake?
You can retake, but is there any reason to assume that you'll magically gain five points? Maybe, maybe not. Most people don't gain points just by repeating the exam. They have to do something new, like a prep course, more study time, etc.

Cost
This may be reason to retake. A higher LSAT score will help with scholarship money. Personally, I wouldn't spend 150-200k on any of those schools unless I was rich and it didn't matter. Not trying to be snobby, my views are just a reflection of current market realities. That kind of debt can be crippling, and the Bay Area legal market is very competitive.

As I said above, URM status can help with obtaining certain scholarships. Merit scholarship, however (which tend to be much bigger) are going to be hard to obtain with a 151.

If you can lower the cost of attendance by retaking the LSAT, well...

Re: URM non tradional 3.22 with 151
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 02:24:53 PM »
Apply and retake there is no harm in doing that. Check with the schools, but I am 99% sure every school simply takes your highest score. So you should apply and then retake in October if you do better awesome if not you have lost nothing. One of the few times in life you will have everything to gain and nothing to lose by retaking.

I think you have a strong shot at GGU particularly as a URM and USF and Santa Clara are definitely possible.

Good luck to you in your pursuit of a legal education!

Re: URM non tradional
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 02:49:07 PM »
Update.
I retook LSAT and gained a slight increase which was helpful in securing merit aid at GGU and San Francisco.  Although, I was admitted to Santa Clara, I opted to attend  USF.  I am confident I made the correct choice over GGU's  full ride because of the 3.0 stipulation and because of USF's strong alumnae base.
Although employment stats are horrible, I will be networking with current contacts, and at present time  I feel a strong interest in criminal law  or healthcare / malpractice and board investigations.
I'll keep updating.
For those that are wondering if law school at 40 is possible, I strongly encourage  you to  rethink what your plans will be before entering .  Non traditional students are unique, don't let age alone  deter you.

Re: URM non tradional
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 06:34:53 PM »
Jumps tend to be more like 2 points, but 5 is doable (heck some get double digits)
make sure to use a good prep company though (don't just buy a book and pretend its the same thing)