Law School Discussion

Is Michigan just trying to make life harder for the sake of making life harder?

http://courts.mi.gov/courts/michigansupremecourt/ble/pages/bar-exam-security-policy.aspx

WHAT could POSSIBLY be the point of getting rid of non digital watches??

I highly suspect that they just sit around pretending to be grading/writing exams for 90% of the time and come up with arbitrary rules (for literally no reason) and then enforce those rules to pretend that there is any need for full time staff.

No other explanation makes sense. Its like jurisdictions that require passport photos (if you were going to cheat, um, wouldn't you just have the guy who you planned to sit it for you take those photos instead of yourself if that was your intent??)

Stupid for the sake of stupid.

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
It's pretty obvious, really.

The explosion of smart watches, including but not limited to the Apple Watch, has created yet another opportunity to cheat. I don't know whether they intituted the rule out of an event that happened at the prior bar exam, or because of FUD, but that's the reason. Monitors can't be everywhere, and instead of having every watch inspected to verify it, jut have a blanket prohibition.

Of the many issues with the bar exam (most dealing with the fact that the bar exam is a poor fit for the actual practice of law), security procedures aren't one of them. If you require a wristwatch to take the exam, you're doing it wrong.

but..................that is why it was NON digital hand winding actually............They are banning ALL of them now. That theory doesn't work.

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
Okay, let's try this.

Before, it was not a big deal because digital watches didn't really do much for cheating. Now, they can be much useful. In addition, from even a short distance, a "digital" watch can look very much like an analog watch.

Ounce of prevention, etc. Point is, this just makes it easier to administer. Before, no big deal (even if the occasional digital watch did get in by accident). Now, the presumption is just simply ban on all watches. Because the *usefulness* of a watch as a cheating device has gone up so much.

But, sure. Maybe my theory is bunk. And maybe they just revised the rules, now, completely indepedently of what's going on with watches, which just happens to coincide with time. I'm sure you've worked this out with a Bayesian probability.