Law School Discussion

POTUS

Re: POTUS
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 11:20:08 PM »
Looking at it from an unbiased perspective - my guess is Clinton v. Bush.

Rubio is a strong contender, but is still too green. Obama was green, but had the charisma and smarts to win debates. Clinton would likely annihilate Rubio in debates. Rand Paul is an interesting candidate, but unlikely to garner enough support from the conservative base. Opposite is true for Sanders... interesting candidate, but unlikely to garner enough support from the liberal base.

Why would you think that sanders won't get the liberal base?  I think that it is the establishment democrats he needs to convince.  Sanders will probably win the New Hampshire primary.

And I would ask you /as I ask everyone\ what if clinton ends up with serious legal issues because of her foundation, or her email situation, her poll numbers continue to tank and she has to suspend her campaign?  After all it is not inconceivable.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 12:12:55 PM »
The fragmentation is within the Democratic Party and "dueling progressive agendas"  and in the Republican Party between civil libertarianism and establishment conservatism.

I essentially agree about the basis of the Democratic split, but I think the Republican split I far more damaging to their overall chances.

The Republican split is at least a three way between establishments (Bush), libertarians (Paul), and religious conservatives (Huckabee, Santorum, etc).

I would argue that at this point the Republicans are in a real bind, a Catch-22. Candidates can't win the nomination or the general election without the evangelicals stepping up and voting, but they're doomed with independents if they appear too evangelical themselves.

The Republicans have allowed this far right element of the party to wield too much influence for too long, and now it's biting them on the a$$.

Even though I'm a Democrat, I hope they figure it out and find a way to be nationally competitive. I don't want there to be one party rule for the next few decades. Competition is good for political parties, it helps minimize corruption. California is a one party state, and look where it got us.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 12:36:27 AM »
With gay marriage now legal on the fed level and republicans on the state level trying to find ways to block it (or at least slow it down somehow) I have given up all hope for them to win. Plus the hole confederate flag deal (ironic how that has become a NON democrat supported thing out of the blue....what whateves) plus immigration as usual. Gays and every race and gender that isn't anglo saxon Christian male.................its game over man. Forget the women and children, push them overboard and get to the lifeboats........THIS BEEOTCH IS GOING DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :o

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 09:55:56 AM »
There is an element of the Republican party that would rather lose on principle than win on compromise. If they decide to make 2016 about gay marriage and abortion, they will lose.

The amazing thing is, I wonder if they even realize how successful they could be if they simply focused on economic issues? Even CA ousted a Dem governor in favor of a socially liberal/fiscally conservative Rep. The religious fundamentalists are determined to lose for some reason.

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 04:55:58 PM »
There is an element of the Republican party that would rather lose on principle than win on compromise. If they decide to make 2016 about gay marriage and abortion, they will lose.

The amazing thing is, I wonder if they even realize how successful they could be if they simply focused on economic issues? Even CA ousted a Dem governor in favor of a socially liberal/fiscally conservative Rep. The religious fundamentalists are determined to lose for some reason.

You view this from the wrong angle. THEY don't get to pick that. The DEMOCRATS will FORCE IT ON THEM. It is not optional. It WILL be FORCED upon them. Just facts. Going "I don't want to talk about it"  wont save them. (despite wishful thinking to the contrary)

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 09:37:02 AM »
Well, to an extent I agree with you. I'm sure that Hillary would rather that the debates focus on gay marriage and abortion rather than the crappy economy and ISIS.

BUT, nobody forced Ted Cruz to say stupid stuff about the Supreme Court, or forced Abbott to say that TX govt workers can ignore the Court's ruling, or  million other goofy things that Republicans can't seem to stop themselves from blabbing.

Of course Jeb Bush (for example) is going to be asked about his views on contentious issues, that's to be expected. The problem I see is that the social conservatives in his own party are preventing him from giving an honest answer. My guess is that JB probably couldn't care less about gay marriage, and would rather talk about the economy. But, if he says that, he losses the Tea Party. 

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 05:01:26 PM »
You don't get my point. I'm not saying that they can't volunteer to say whatever they want, I'm just saying it can't be avoided.

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 05:08:25 PM »
https://youtu.be/iayO0fU0m5g

The man in that video should be President haha. Pretty impressive that Predator featured not one, but two state governors. Why not take it one step further with a President/VP 

How could you not support a Schwarzenegger/Ventura ticket.

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 07:14:39 PM »
The Constitution, maybe?   ;D

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 10:11:00 PM »
The Constitution, maybe?   ;D
true.......but if you flipped the names (made Schwarzenegger the VP).........I honestly could see the supreme court going "meh, we'll let it pass"

Then again President Chubbs Peterson does have a nice ring to it.................Come to think of it, Carl Weathers does seem to be type casted to be killed off by reptilian creatures with unnaturally humanistic characterisitcs.............. .interesting...........