Law School Discussion

Stay local or move on?

Stay local or move on?
« on: June 17, 2015, 03:13:04 PM »
I'm currently enrolled to take the October LSAT and will graduate with my BA in May.  I'm attending law school as a second career (kind of...I've been a paralegal for a number of years) and am married with a family.  I am fortunate to live in an area where there are not 1, not 2, but 3 law schools within commuting distance.  All are affordable, and they range from a 2nd tier with a good local and regional reputation, to a 4th tier with an excellent metro reputation, but not much outside of that.  I took my "raw" test LSAT and came up with a 153.  After a two weeks of studying, I have managed a 160 (thank you Logic Games Bible!).  I expect once I fully master logic games and do some fine tuning on logical reasoning that my final LSAT will be in the high 160's -- low 170's.  The bad?  I'll have a fairly low (2.8 -- 3.0) GPA, mostly due to stupid choices 10 years ago.  I had originally planned on staying local, and attending one of the schools around me, but didn't expect to be doing so well on my practice tests.  Should I plan to apply to a higher ranked school?  If so, any suggestions are welcome.  My concerns (in order of importance) are: cost, making sure my husband is able to find a job to support us (he has a MPA and currently works for the state in corrections), as well as cost of living and schools and all of the other things you consider when uprooting your family.  Thanks!

Re: Stay local or move on?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 05:27:59 PM »
To some extent you're putting the cart before the horse. Even though you've taken a few practice tests you don't know what your actual LSAT score will be. It might be 170, or it might be 155. Practice tests can vary quite a bit, and the conditions can approximate, but not actually replicate, real testing conditions. So, bottom line is that until you have an actual 170 (or at least a string of multiple practice tests consistently scoring that high) you can't assume you'll score that high.

That said, if you have a family cost should be a major, major concern. Depending on your goals you may be better off going to a lower ranked school with little or no debt versus a bigger name school with a huge debt.

If you do score very high and have the chance to attend a truly nationally recognized, elite school (think Ivy League) then it may be worth the cost and the uprooting. But if you end up trying to decide between the #45 ranked school and the #60 school, focus on costs and employment opportunities.

At elite schools your GPA is going to hurt you, unfortunately. They want high GPAs and high LSATs. But plenty of good schools will happily take someone with a 3.0/160-something. Once you have an actual score on the board you will be in a much better position to figure out your options. 

BTW, are you looking at part time or full time programs?

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 10:20:01 AM »
I agree with Maintain what you should focus on first and foremost is getting an LSAT score. Plenty of people score far higher on the practice tests myself included, because I gave myself a few extra seconds or took a break here and there. Not to mention to the pressure of the real thing is harder than a practice.

I hope you get a 160 hell a 180, but until you have a real LSAT score there is not much point in thinking about schools. Focus all your law school admission energy on the LSAT now and once you have options really think about what is best.

To answer the question if your goal is to live in the area you are living in go to a school in the area preferably the cheapest option.

I never think it is a good idea to move from the area you want to live in for any school.

Once you have an LSAT score this is a good article outlining how to choose a law school. http://www.legalmatch.com/choose-the-right-law-school.html

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 10:53:28 PM »
Your post doesn't say what your HUSAND THINKS. Ask him first. Then ask how firm he is on it. Then ask is it worth straining the relationship leading to divorce or a dead marriage? Then ask, would you want to be with someone who doesn't want to go your way anyways?

Ask HIM first. Then decide internally from there.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 12:44:24 PM »
That's a good point.

I went to law school at night with a family, and it was a HUGE strain on us even though my wife was very supportive. I was basically absent for four years. Every night was class from 6-10, every weekend was studying.

Law school is a million times more demanding of your time than undergrad, and your family has got to be on board in order for it to work.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 05:25:32 PM »
That's a good point.

I went to law school at night with a family, and it was a HUGE strain on us even though my wife was very supportive. I was basically absent for four years. Every night was class from 6-10, every weekend was studying.

Law school is a million times more demanding of your time than undergrad, and your family has got to be on board in order for it to work.
THAT PLUS imagine your wife having to leave her job and relocate
and now imagine that PLUS the gender role reversal of a man being told to be what a lot of society basically would view as being a cuckold.......... (not endorsing the mentality just pointing it out)

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 10:34:47 AM »
I completely agree with i VIII π on his point regarding asking your husband. This decision should be first of all mutually agreeable and you BOTH should understand what to expect. Stay local as for me is the easiest way, but I believe it is always better to strive for more. However, if you take a risk do not forget about accepting responsibility. I would recommend you to compare carefully advantages of two schools you have chosen (local and a higher ranked one) and also do not forget about the importance of admission papers: http://payforhomework.org/. May success wait upon you whatever you choose!

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 09:04:08 PM »
Unless it's T14, or something like that, I wouldn't move... Unless the school in your area is absolutely terrible and postgrad rates are poor.

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 12:21:31 AM »
It totally depends on you .... your choice you decision...

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 09:55:01 PM »
It totally depends on you .... your choice you decision...

Greatest NON advice ever. (paused breaths and all)
Why make an Alt just to post that?? Honestly.