Law School Discussion

Upcoming Undergrad-- Law???

Re: Upcoming Undergrad-- Law???
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 12:48:54 PM »
Honestly, just do whatever undergrad major you think you can get a 4.0 in
prelaw is not required. Only you know what your strengths are.
No one cares if you took prelaw or premed or anything. They only care about the LSAT score and GPA.
Focus on those.
Heck they don't even care the name of the school either. You could do city college with all your electives in gym and be better off than Harvard prelaw if you had the higher GPA and focused on LSAT prep the whole time.

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 11:16:41 AM »
There are definitely jobs such as City Attorney work where you deal with Constitutional Law all the time.  There are very few private practice attorneys that do Free Speech Work, etc, but if you are government attorney particularly a City Attorney or County Counsel there are significant constitutional issues.

However, as everyone said most people don't practice in that area, but the law is very broad. I think what every poster can agree with is that you should go to undergrad and pursue a degree you are interested in and do as well as you can. A lot will change during your college years, I specifically remember saying I would "never" go to law school in college, but it happened. I knew plenty of other pre-law majors etc that were completely focused on going to law school, but never ended up going.

Since your major does not matter for law school, but your grades do pursue a field of study you are interested in and do well academically.

Good luck!

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 12:38:09 PM »
"Can anyone give me some more insight on what to expect?"

No. The law-niverse is huge, and not easily reducible. That said, the three most common misconceptions about the law are as follows (in terms of people saying they will practice in a particular area):
1. I will practice in Constitutional Law.
2. I will practice in International Law.
3. I will practice in Mergers and Acquisitions.

These three areas are, well, kind of a joke- because most people don't understand that you will likely not practice in these "areas." Do some people? Sure! There are a few people that will go to HYS (Harvard, Yale, Stanford), clerk for a federal judge, clerk again (most likely), and then work for in an appellate boutique doing ConLaw cases..... but.... don't count on it.

As others have noted, most practicing attorneys either do some type of civil/criminal litigation or transactional work (real estate, licenses and business contracts, estates and trusts, etc.). For some people, this is fun and rewarding. For others, this is billable hour hell.

As for what to do in undergrad? Doesn't matter. Really. Do well. Have fun. Get good grades. Travel if you can. Live life- grad school (and/or law school, if that's what you want) will wait.

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 02:30:44 PM »
Just to add on to what others have mostly already said............I agree.

Its annoying as hell when people ask "what type of lawyer are you want to be" (as if you have any really clue) They always act shocked as hell when a 3L says "who ever hires me, whatever they do, that's what I'll do".

And then the age old token "But you plan to be one of the GOOD lawyers right, who only helps the GOOD people right"  "um.........RIGHT..........."   :P

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 02:44:10 PM »
Well the question is also who is a good person.

An attorney (Lincoln) Supporting the abolition of slavery 150 years ago was looked upon by many as so evil that thousands of people died.

The definition of "good" people changes all the time and part of being a lawyer is advocating for a side.

At this moment in time defending the Police is controversial, because there is a lot of media saying otherwise, but the months after 9/11 if you represetend the cops you were a good idea.

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 10:04:08 PM »
Good point on the subjectiveness of "Good".  I know plenty who view defense attorneys as "scum bags who sold their soul for a dollar" (very few dollars from what I have seen for most) And yet the State Attorneys get an equal bad rap as the "bad guy" from the families of those with family facing charges.

-The line seems to be which side they view as "me and mine"

(same with plaintiff vs defendant-it literally changes with the direction of the breeze) "but that's them and this is me........" :P