Law School Discussion

Disciplinary Action in Law School--C&F?

opal

Re: Disciplinary Action in Law School--C&F?
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2015, 12:11:21 PM »
No, there is no restraining order in place or unpaid tuition.  I made the requests via email and phone in February 2015 to several deans/administrators (since I wasn't sure who exactly was responsible for maintaining the records) and the Associate Dean of Student Conduct angrily emailed me back saying that he won't release the pertinent documentation to me.  He did not give a reason why, but told me not to contact his office again.  So in the interest of not rocking the boat, I have not been in touch with him since February 2015. 

I will need the records to submit to the state bar when I apply for C&F.  No pressing need for them right now.  My attorney (the firm that's charging me a $3,500 flat fee) will help me obtain the disciplinary records that the school is withholding from me in flagrant violation of federal law.

On an unrelated note, should I have my psychotherapist submit a letter of recommendation to the local law schools?  Perhaps an assurance from her will assuage their fears about admitting someone with a "dangerous" history.     

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2015, 12:16:54 PM »
Ok, it's good that you have a lawyer. Be completely honest with your lawyer and let them handle it.

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2015, 01:02:42 PM »
Have your lawyer contact the school and get the records.

From your story and mental health issues at the time you may not have articulated your position as clearly as you think.

If your attorney makes a formal request for the documents and it is denied then you probably have a nice lawsuit on your hands, but I imagine they will just hand it over.

opal

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2015, 01:31:17 PM »
My parents advised me not to bring a lawyer into the picture at this juncture, although I initially wanted to.  It will make me look adversarial/hostile towards the school, which is not good if I am asking for favors from the school.  If I threaten them with lawsuits, they are definitely not taking me back!  To get what I want (i.e. finish my degree), I have to act as meek as possible and not rock the boat.   

When applying for C&F, I will definitely have my attorney help me obtain the necessary educational records that I am entitled to under FERPA.   Right now is not the right time, esp. since the Dean explicitly told me not to contact him or anyone in his office. 

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2015, 02:53:54 PM »
Don't you need the records in order to apply as a visiting student to another school?

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2015, 03:04:01 PM »
If you want to be a lawyer I don't think your parents should be involved in the decision making process.

It seems like you have an excuse for every step.

You are saying these records are necessary to get to a new school.

The school however, is not giving you these records, because you are such a burden to them that they will not comply with the law.

You have an attorney that could get the records, but you don't want to use him/her.  Having a lawyer does not mean your going to sue they simply be your point of contact and record keeper.

This whole situation is very easy to resolve if you actually want it to be resolved.

However, you have to take an action not say why every proposed action won't work.

If you want to sit on the internet and say it is not fair it is your life, but if you actually want this to happen it is up to you to make it happen.

opal

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2015, 03:25:51 PM »
Don't you need the records in order to apply as a visiting student to another school?

I don't need the records to apply as a visiting student to another school.  I need them for when I apply for the bar, which won't be for almost a year.  That's why I said it's premature to lawyer up. 

Yes, the school is violating my rights by denying me my records, but if I threaten them with a lawsuit, they will never let me back in.  Now is the time to play nice and meek, not adversarial. 

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2015, 04:18:13 PM »
Hiring a lawyer does not automatically mean a lawsuit.

If you don't need the records to be a visiting student then why are you even discussing this.

Also, why not just get the records now?

I get the sense this is just a flame, but it is entertaining.

opal

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2015, 04:25:24 PM »
I don't need to get the records now.  My C&F attorney will help me get the records when it's time to apply for the Bar.  If I ask for the records now (on my own), I will be slapped with harassment charges and get arrested. 

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2015, 05:08:07 PM »
Yeah, I call bull.