Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A lot of W's on transcript... help!  (Read 1507 times)

tinsel

• View Profile
A lot of W's on transcript... help!
« on: August 19, 2005, 07:53:29 PM »
I have many W's (withdrawn classes) on my undergraduate transcript.  How will they look at that?  All classes that were withdrawn from were retaken with all A's - my gpa is 3.8 - still waiting on LSAT scores, but my biggest concern is all those darn W's.  I dropped the classes after the first week, therefore they show up on my transcript.  Do you think this really matters?

squilla

• Sr. Citizen
  • UW Fall '06
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A lot of W's on transcript... help!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 08:03:29 PM »
Write something explaining why you withdrew from so many classes.  It won't matter unless you don't explain it.

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 02:35:45 PM »
But, by writing an addendum, doesn't one risk drawing attention to something that the adcomm's wouldnt have noticed anyway?

squilla

• Sr. Citizen
  • UW Fall '06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 02:51:02 PM »
But, by writing an addendum, doesn't one risk drawing attention to something that the adcomm's wouldnt have noticed anyway?

If you want to bet on the assumption that adcomms do not look at transcripts.  Personally, I don't like those odds.

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 03:48:26 PM »
either way a lot of w's is suspect. I mean what are they to say I realized that each semester i took on more than i could chew due to other obligations--or better yet i didnt like the professor who was teaching class?  I just think that with one W or two its your choice to explain or not to explain either way i don't think it matters.  However with "a lot" of w's I dont think there is ever going to be a satisfactory explanation--especially if the poster retook the same classes with an A.  It's as if he/she knew from the outset an A wouldnt have been earned with X professor so he/she waited for Y professor. A pattern of W's is not a good thing and any explanation would just draw more attention to the number of Ws.

tinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 08:47:46 PM »
All of these classes were retaken with the same professor, so I wasn't picking an easier professor.  I agree there is not a good explanation for this, even the truth, but I'd rather the adcomms have my reason, rather than speculating.

Thanks for the input everyone!

asv1111

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 11:22:18 PM »
Law school admission will get your LSAC report.  This article explains how a W is calculated and reported: http://lsat.org/LSAC.asp?url=/additional-info/transcript-summarization.asp

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 01:58:52 PM »
I have many W's (withdrawn classes) on my undergraduate transcript.  How will they look at that?  All classes that were withdrawn from were retaken with all A's - my gpa is 3.8 - still waiting on LSAT scores, but my biggest concern is all those darn W's.  I dropped the classes after the first week, therefore they show up on my transcript.  Do you think this really matters?

A- is a 3.66, not a 3.8.  :-\

squilla

• Sr. Citizen
  • UW Fall '06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 02:54:48 PM »

A- is a 3.66, not a 3.8.  :-\

Reading comp. must be your weak area.