Law School Discussion

Picking between Summer Job Offers! Advice appreciated!

Re: Picking between Summer Job Offers! Advice appreciated!
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 03:15:40 PM »
Does the Dept of Justice one pay? Also I would consider the payment of any of these.

I had internships and summer jobs every semester and summer in law school and if there is ever one that says you will get great experience, but no pay my two cents is stay away. I know this is a common statement for government employers, but the reality is if they are not paying you then they have very little incentive to utilize you.

The more they are paying you the more they are going to use you and not to mention you will be minimizing your debt.

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 04:49:53 PM »
sharka,

Clinics and externships are great.

Thanks so I'm happy to say I'm doing a clinic this upcoming fall term! But I have a new concern which is whether I should stay or leave law school with the grades I got. Would love your thoughts if you have time.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/index.php?topic=4030063.0

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 04:52:06 PM »
Does the Dept of Justice one pay? Also I would consider the payment of any of these.

I had internships and summer jobs every semester and summer in law school and if there is ever one that says you will get great experience, but no pay my two cents is stay away. I know this is a common statement for government employers, but the reality is if they are not paying you then they have very little incentive to utilize you.

The more they are paying you the more they are going to use you and not to mention you will be minimizing your debt.

Hey Citylaw.

Would love your thoughts if you have time on my grades and what I should do at this point:  http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/index.php?topic=4030063.0
DOJ does not pay much so its not like a Summer Assoc where I would make lots of money. They seem like they are understaffed so they want to use me while I'm there?

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 04:57:28 PM »
I always thought that the paid summer internships are the best options, but they are competitive. Its good to have safety backup plans.
Burger King maybe? I jest, but not much. Worst case scenario do free clinics part time and donate plasma and work at fast food if you need to. The time is over almost before it starts.

Dang I am becoming a cynic sooner than I thought I would..........doesn't make me wrong though.

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 05:19:29 PM »
Lol I'm working with my original company for salary and then working part of the summer with DOJ for the experience despite lower pay.

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 07:43:18 PM »
Lol I'm working with my original company for salary and then working part of the summer with DOJ for the experience despite lower pay.
I like your idea better.  ;)

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 02:56:22 AM »
Thanks!  :D

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 01:59:14 PM »
If I was you I would take the money in law school. The more you are paid the more negotiating power you have out of law school and if they are paying you they will put you to work.

The less they pay they less likely the are to use you. I did an unpaid internship for a Public Defender my 1L, because it was something I was interested in doing. they were understaffed, super busy, etc, but they were so busy they didn't have time to give me much work. I ended up enrolling in summer school and just studied the whole time I was there. I had something to put on my resume,  and met a few cool people, but I learned from that if your not being paid they don't have a huge incentive to find work for you. If money is being spent on then people will have to justify why you are being paid, which means they will give you work.

Just my two cents and I offered another post on why you should stay in school on the other thread.

Good luck.

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 03:28:46 PM »
Good point, I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully DOJ will use me then since they're understaffed and paying me a smidge. :)

Thanks on the other post too! It was super helpful. I sincerely mean that.

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 05:42:52 PM »
Happy to help and glad to hear you have a paying government job lined up it will be a good experience.