Law School Discussion

Thomas Jefferson (Full Ride) or Cal Western (50% Scholarship)

So I've been accepted to both. I always considered CW a possible choice not so much TJ. However, TJ has just offered me a full ride and knowing that I will be graduating from law school with no tuition debt is quite enticing and is making TJ a strong candidate. I will be moving to SD to attend law school these two choices will constitute my decision just not sure if I should go for TJ even with a full ride since Ive heard that its reputation is not so remarkable even in SD. Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated.   

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Jefferson (Full Ride) or Cal Western (50% Scholarship)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 06:58:11 AM »
X-

Before I make a long reply (which I have been known to do), let me ask you a few questions; what, if any, conditions are on the scholarships?

More specifically, does the TJ scholarship have a minimum GPA or class rank requirement? If so, what is it?

TJ graduates students, on average, with some of the worst job prospects in the nation. It is facing some severe financial issues (defaulting on debt obligations for its new building). It is offering full rides to students who score a 153/3.0 (uGPA) who, IMHO, are students who probably shouldn't be considering law school. So if you are *seriously* considering it, make sure you know what you're getting into, make sure that the "renewable" scholarship has conditions you are aware of, and price in the cost of living. And be aware that you very well could graduate and not have a job in the legal profession.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 11:35:58 AM »
I will be moving to SD to attend law school these two choices will constitute my decision just not sure if I should go for TJ even with a full ride since Ive heard that its reputation is not so remarkable even in SD.

Here's the thing, I'm not trying to be rude but neither school's reputation is remarkable, even in SD. Outside of SD, many employers will have no clue about either school, period.

There are a few things to consider.

Cost
Personally, and this is just my opinion based upon my own priorities, I'd take the full ride in a heartbeat. Your post grad employment opportunities are probably going to be very similar graduating from either school. Firms that care about pedigree won't be interested unless you graduate top of the class, and firms that don't care so much about pedigree will focus more on your personal skills and experience anyway.

For example, if you apply to the Public Defender's office they're going to want to see that you have some relevant experience (internship, volunteer attorney, etc). A TJSL grad with relevant experience would probably stand a better shot at getting hired at the PD's than a CW grad with no experience. In that case, it would be better to be the TJSL grad with no debt.

You mentioned that you're moving to SD for law school. Are you prepared to live in SD after law school? If you attend one of these schools you will almost certainly end up in the immediate area for work. 

Scholarship Stipulations
Pay very close attention to these. It is very easy to lose most law school scholarships. If the CW scholarship offer has more reasonable stipulations, it may be a better deal even though it's only 50%. What are the stips?

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 07:44:42 PM »
As everyone has asked what are the scholarship conditions. If you can't get them down to good academic standing on the conditions and maybe even ask for living expenses you will have the chance to get an ABA degree for minimal or no debt, which is a solid deal.

I would also negotiate with Cal Western for more money worse thing they will say is no.

As to the quality of the schools I have known solid attorney's from both schools, but obviously neither one is Harvard. However, if you want to end up in San Diego those are solid schools to choose from.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 01:07:21 AM »
Interesting article! Thank you for sharing them! I hope you will continue to have similar posts to share with everyone!
abcya

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 02:59:56 AM »
Thanks for your page! Your share information it helped me alot! I pray for you to be happy and successful in your life.
usps tracking