Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: why won't people leave mariah's ethnicity alone?  (Read 8242 times)

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
Re: why won't people leave mariah's ethnicity alone?
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2005, 02:29:38 PM »
::) ::) This thread is stupid.  I like MC too, but who really gives two sh!ts about her ethnicity, or her for that matter? 

out of curiosity (and i'm asking this in all seriousness):

do you also not care about how the black community treats its non-celebrity members?

is it okay for blacks to reject or put down other blacks because they have long hair or a big vocabulary or an interest in rock music or light-colored eyes or a white friend/love interest or any other such superficial issue?

arguing about mariah carey's ethnicity is CLEARLY pointless, but the reality of the aforementioned treatment is not.  it's real, and it has to stop if the black community intends to be supportive of all its vastly diverse and often maligned parts.

Of course it is not okay. 
Back in the saddle again.

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2005, 02:32:25 PM »
Are you saying I cant be exposed to pressure regarding being black unless I am black?

Actually, that's exactly what I'm telling you.

What if my step brother is black and he has pressure and he has told me?  What if my best friend is black and has pressure and he has told me?  What if I have observed blacks in my family being talked about regarding their blackness?  A better question would be regarding my experiences to the pressures of being black.  I never claimed it was am ambush, I told you to assume that I am not black.

Are you aware of the difference between a primary and secondary source?  And which would take precedence?  And why is it so important for you to dodge the question?

You are saying that you only ask questions that you know the answer to?

I am saying that it is not a good question on an argumental basis.  An argument is what we're having.

It would seem that it is a good point to ask whether the one drop rule is a law.  By that logic, does it mean that your question regarding my blackness is utterly pointless, since obviously you dont know the answer to that question?

It is not a good POINT - it is a good question, but in an argument situation you can't possibly hope that that refutes anything or aids you in any way.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2005, 02:42:38 PM »
Are you saying I cant be exposed to pressure regarding being black unless I am black?

Actually, that's exactly what I'm telling you.

What if my step brother is black and he has pressure and he has told me?  What if my best friend is black and has pressure and he has told me?  What if I have observed blacks in my family being talked about regarding their blackness?  A better question would be regarding my experiences to the pressures of being black.  I never claimed it was am ambush, I told you to assume that I am not black.

Are you aware of the difference between a primary and secondary source?  And which would take precedence?  And why is it so important for you to dodge the question?

You are saying that you only ask questions that you know the answer to?

I am saying that it is not a good question on an argumental basis.  An argument is what we're having.

It would seem that it is a good point to ask whether the one drop rule is a law.  By that logic, does it mean that your question regarding my blackness is utterly pointless, since obviously you dont know the answer to that question?

It is not a good POINT - it is a good question, but in an argument situation you can't possibly hope that that refutes anything or aids you in any way.

Well, you are incorrect.  I can in fact be exposed to the pressure of being black without in fact being black.  Whether I get to experience it myself or through someone else, it is nonetheless experience.  I am quite aware of the difference between primary and secondary sources.  While primary sources are preferred, secondary sources do provide a wealth of information.  Clearly primary sources of information are better, but I dont see that what I have told you is dodging the question.  I have told you to assume that I am not black.  How many times do I have to say that??  How do you get off telling me how to make my points in an argument?  I can make my points anyway that I see fit.  I will ask the questions that I think make my point and you ask the questions that make yours.  I am not saying that the question is a point, I am saying it is a good point to ask a good question.  Two different things.  But thanks for saying it was a good question. ;)  Why cant that aid me in any way?  The question does not refute anything but the answer to the question might possibly refute something. ;D

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2005, 02:49:37 PM »
Well, you are incorrect.

Damn, you caught me.  You said I'm incorrect - I must not be correct.  Well if you put it like that, it MUST be true.  Stating opinions as facts without factual basis is for the strong, sense is for the weak.

I have told you to assume that I am not black.  How many times do I have to say that?? 

I'm not a big fan of assumptions.  If someone says "just assume this", I tend to get a tad suspicious.  Why didn't they come out and say one way or another?  Answer straight up: are you or are you not black.

How do you get off telling me how to make my points in an argument?

Did I do that?

I can make my points anyway that I see fit.  I will ask the questions that I think make my point and you ask the questions that make yours.  I am not saying that the question is a point, I am saying it is a good point to ask a good question.  Two different things.  But thanks for saying it was a good question.

You're welcome.

Why cant that aid me in any way?  The question does not refute anything but the answer to the question might possibly refute something.

Then shouldn't you have, say, looked it up and then used the ANSWER, had it supported you, against me rather than the question?  That's like attacking me with the trigger rather than pulling it.

j.rosh

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2005, 02:53:13 PM »
::) ::) This thread is stupid.  I like MC too, but who really gives two sh!ts about her ethnicity, or her for that matter? 

out of curiosity (and i'm asking this in all seriousness):

do you also not care about how the black community treats its non-celebrity members?

is it okay for blacks to reject or put down other blacks because they have long hair or a big vocabulary or an interest in rock music or light-colored eyes or a white friend/love interest or any other such superficial issue?

arguing about mariah carey's ethnicity is CLEARLY pointless, but the reality of the aforementioned treatment is not.  it's real, and it has to stop if the black community intends to be supportive of all its vastly diverse and often maligned parts.

This definitely makes the convo much more interesting than MC (love you :)), but to kill your curiousity, YES, I absolutely care about how we treat our black community, celebrity or not.  It's one thing to have others break you down, but to have your own community do the same-smh :'(.  It's an issue that's constantly addressed with little results, and I feel you on that tip.

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2005, 02:58:51 PM »
whatyoudreamof=lavia

HTH
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2005, 03:02:35 PM »
Well, you are incorrect.

Damn, you caught me.  You said I'm incorrect - I must not be correct.  Well if you put it like that, it MUST be true.  Stating opinions as facts without factual basis is for the strong, sense is for the weak.

If you are going to quote me, quote me completely.  While the part you quoted is an opinion, I did not state an opinion as facts without a factual basis.  My entire statement was "Well, you are incorrect.  I can in fact be exposed to the pressure of being black without in fact being black.  Whether I get to experience it myself or through someone else, it is nonetheless experience."

I have told you to assume that I am not black.  How many times do I have to say that?? 

I'm not a big fan of assumptions.  If someone says "just assume this", I tend to get a tad suspicious.  Why didn't they come out and say one way or another?  Answer straight up: are you or are you not black.

Sorry that you are not a fan of assumptions.  I love assumptions, but perhaps it is an occupational hazard.  The best answer I can give is that I dont consider myself black.  Is that straight enough for you?

How do you get off telling me how to make my points in an argument?

Did I do that?

Yes.

I can make my points anyway that I see fit.  I will ask the questions that I think make my point and you ask the questions that make yours.  I am not saying that the question is a point, I am saying it is a good point to ask a good question.  Two different things.  But thanks for saying it was a good question.

You're welcome.

:-*

Why cant that aid me in any way?  The question does not refute anything but the answer to the question might possibly refute something.

Then shouldn't you have, say, looked it up and then used the ANSWER, had it supported you, against me rather than the question?  That's like attacking me with the trigger rather than pulling it.

Here you go trying to tell me how to make my argument.  I handled it the way I wanted to...and for the record, I know the answer to my question.  I just dont have to tell you that.  I didnt need to look it up.  Perhaps I would have pulled the trigger had you answered that question about whether one drop makes you black is a law.  For someone who is so hell bent on getting answers to his questions, you sure dont like to answer questions.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2005, 03:03:57 PM »
whatyoudreamof=lavia

HTH

I believe Lavia was WAY before my time. ;D

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2005, 03:05:28 PM »
Maybe if you didn't ask an obvious question I would have answered it.  I assumed the question was rhetorical.  Anyone who doesn't know that One Drop Rule is no longer law does not deserve to be arguing with anyone.  I, however, have no crystal ball to look into to figure whether or not you're black.

j.rosh

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2005, 03:07:05 PM »
LOL.  I wasn't here to experience the wrath of Lavia, but it's funny to me how someone would just mention her name and all of the sudden, there's a understanding without having to say anything else.  :D