Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: why won't people leave mariah's ethnicity alone?  (Read 8383 times)

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: why won't people leave mariah's ethnicity alone?
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2005, 01:19:19 PM »
I asked if you were black in response to you saying "internal pressure" - it's not germane to the one drop rule section of the argument.

Is there a law about how much black ancestry makes one black?  Does that change my point of view, even if so?

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2005, 01:24:56 PM »
I asked if you were black in response to you saying "internal pressure" - it's not germane to the one drop rule section of the argument.

Is there a law about how much black ancestry makes one black?  Does that change my point of view, even if so?

What does my being black have to do with my saying "internal pressure"  Do I have to be black to discuss internal pressure on others in defining their own blackness? 

I dont know if there is a law about how much black ancestry makes one black.  Maybe there is  and maybe there isnt.  Even if it does not change your point of view, what does that have to do with inserting it in a conversation?
Back in the saddle again.

jerrica benton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2005, 01:27:00 PM »
The reason you insult is because there is nothing to your argument.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO

that is what i told you 20 posts ago.

there is no resolution to my post.

there are no contentions to back any resolution.

thus, MY POST IS NOT ARGUMENTATIVE.

the form of the post is: a series of anthropological observations ending with a question to this community about possible motivation behind observed phenomena.

p.s.  i insult you because u talk and reason like u graduated at the bottom 10% of jones high school...and then ended your education.

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2005, 01:28:27 PM »

What does my being black have to do with my saying "internal pressure"  Do I have to be black to discuss internal pressure on others in defining their own blackness? 

I dont know if there is a law about how much black ancestry makes one black.  Maybe there is  and maybe there isnt.  Even if it does not change your point of view, what does that have to do with inserting it in a conversation?

You being black would do wonders to illustrate how exposed you are to any pressure regarding being black.  Hence the question, which I will repeat: are you black?  It's not an ambush or a trap.  It's a simple question that will allow me to understand the perspective of the person I'm discussing this with.

If you don't know if there is a law on it, then asking if the One Drop rule is law is utterly pointless.

angmill08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2005, 01:39:13 PM »
It was my impression that when she started getting big (in the early 1990s, or late 1980s, I don't remember for sure) she said she was not black.

Now, I don't know if she actually said that, or if a reporter made that up, or if something she said about being bi-racial got misinterpreted or what. But for a while there the public perception was that she said she was not black.

The "check the box" and/or "what are you?" ideology is frustrating, and people can try to point out its limitations by self-defining their race (saying something like, "What am I? I'm Native American/African American/Irish American, you might just call me American!") or they might just get in where they fit in by identifying loud and clear with a recognized race or ethnicity. JLo was very clear and proud about being Puerto Rican from day one, so there is no speculation about her ethnicity, although she, like most Puerto Ricans, is "mixed race" by US racial standards.
164/3.46 Undergrad GPA, graduated college in 1996.
Applied: UT Austin (ED), Univ. of Houston, George Washington U & American U.
Accepted: Univ. of Houston, GW, American
Attending: GW, Fall 2006

j.rosh

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2005, 01:47:03 PM »
 ::) ::) This thread is stupid.  I like MC too, but who really gives two sh!ts about her ethnicity, or her for that matter? 

People feel she's not claiming her "black" side-SO WHAT!!!  MC should be mature enough to understand that she don't have to answer to anybody, no matter how many times she puts black people in her videos dancing in the field and wearing do-rags ::).. :D
At the end of the day, she knows who and what she is-and nobody really gives a  :o, so let it go.   

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2005, 02:20:17 PM »
The reason you insult is because there is nothing to your argument.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO

that is what i told you 20 posts ago.

there is no resolution to my post.

there are no contentions to back any resolution.

thus, MY POST IS NOT ARGUMENTATIVE.

the form of the post is: a series of anthropological observations ending with a question to this community about possible motivation behind observed phenomena.

p.s.  i insult you because u talk and reason like u graduated at the bottom 10% of jones high school...and then ended your education.

Wow, you really do have some issues.  I never sand that your post was argumentative.  I said that you were attempting to make a particular argument and there was nothing to your argument.  Well, your anthropological observations might have been incorrect.  You cant even acknowledge that fact.  I am secure in myself that your insults do not affect me.  Keep'em coming, they bring a little humor to my day.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2005, 02:24:19 PM »

You being black would do wonders to illustrate how exposed you are to any pressure regarding being black.  Hence the question, which I will repeat: are you black?  It's not an ambush or a trap.  It's a simple question that will allow me to understand the perspective of the person I'm discussing this with.

If you don't know if there is a law on it, then asking if the One Drop rule is law is utterly pointless.

Are you saying I cant be exposed to pressure regarding being black unless I am black?  What if my step brother is black and he has pressure and he has told me?  What if my best friend is black and has pressure and he has told me?  What if I have observed blacks in my family being talked about regarding their blackness?  A better question would be regarding my experiences to the pressures of being black.  I never claimed it was am ambush, I told you to assume that I am not black. 

You are saying that you only ask questions that you know the answer to?  It would seem that it is a good point to ask whether the one drop rule is a law.  By that logic, does it mean that your question regarding my blackness is utterly pointless, since obviously you dont know the answer to that question????

jerrica benton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2005, 02:25:17 PM »
::) ::) This thread is stupid.  I like MC too, but who really gives two sh!ts about her ethnicity, or her for that matter? 

out of curiosity (and i'm asking this in all seriousness):

do you also not care about how the black community treats its non-celebrity members?

is it okay for blacks to reject or put down other blacks because they have long hair or a big vocabulary or an interest in rock music or light-colored eyes or a white friend/love interest or any other such superficial issue?

arguing about mariah carey's ethnicity is CLEARLY pointless, but the reality of the aforementioned treatment is not.  it's real, and it has to stop if the black community intends to be supportive of all its vastly diverse and often maligned parts.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2005, 02:26:36 PM »

People feel she's not claiming her "black" side-SO WHAT!!!  MC should be mature enough to understand that she don't have to answer to anybody, no matter how many times she puts black people in her videos dancing in the field and wearing do-rags ::).. :D
At the end of the day, she knows who and what she is-and nobody really gives a  :o, so let it go.   

AMEN!!!!!