Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: why won't people leave mariah's ethnicity alone?  (Read 8603 times)

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
Re: why won't people leave mariah's ethnicity alone?
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2005, 09:14:58 AM »
1.  Your original post did argue that MC was black.  When you put an argument for ANYTHING on this website be prepared to defend and bolster that argument.

2.  I have no opinion whether MC is black or not, but take issue with the evidence that you use to prove she is black because it is equally effective at proving the exact opposite===> red herring (sorry, maybe I should say the issue is moot)

3.  This is not a personal issue between you and I. I have no beef with you and already tried to appologize if my op was too harsh.

4.  Dont resort to personal attacks; you only belittle yourself.

5.  HTH
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

j.rosh

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2005, 10:38:01 AM »
I just wanna throw this back out, thanks LP  ;) :)

And what does her ethnicity have anything to do with her being a NUT!!!!!!!!

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2005, 12:06:17 PM »
"Black" is not a culture.  Or if it is some sort of huge macroculture, it doesn't at all work the way people think it does. Bottom line: Mariah Carey's daddy is black, ergo Mariah Carey is black.

Isnt Mariah's mother white, by your logic, that would make her white.

One Drop Rule.

Maybe Mariah feels some internal pressure to prove her blackness.

...Internal?  Are you black(I'm actually asking)

is the one drop rule law???  Does it matter if I am black?

Did anyone even refer to legality in the discussion of whether or not she's black?  Are you black?

I mentioned it in the discussion in context of the one drop rule.  I am allowed to expand the discussion or is that only allowed by you?  Why does it matter if I am black or not?  For the sake of discussion, say I am not black, so what?
Back in the saddle again.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2005, 12:07:30 PM »
I just wanna throw this back out, thanks LP  ;) :)

And what does her ethnicity have anything to do with her being a NUT!!!!!!!!

Anytime, *j

jerrica benton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2005, 12:10:58 PM »
1.  Your original post did argue that MC was black.  When you put an argument for ANYTHING on this website be prepared to defend and bolster that argument.

2.  I have no opinion whether MC is black or not, but take issue with the evidence that you use to prove she is black because it is equally effective at proving the exact opposite===> red herring (sorry, maybe I should say the issue is moot)

3.  This is not a personal issue between you and I. I have no beef with you and already tried to appologize if my op was too harsh.

4.  Dont resort to personal attacks; you only belittle yourself.

5.  HTH

i'm still trying to figure out how a twenty-six year old man can get through undergrad, into law school, know the term "red herring" and still not know the diff. btw assumption and argumentation.

over a decade ago, when whatever ttteacher shared with you the fundamental fallacies in modern thought, didn't he also teach you about implicit assumption?  i know you've taken at least one philosophy class.  you could have, by a stretch, at least recognized mc's blackness as an assumption based on basic knowledge of value judgments. 

and kid...you are the one squirming about harshness.  if u r going to create arguments where none exist, be prepared to be called an idiot.  because i don't think i'm stuck in a neverending policy debate.  i like ad hominem.

jerrica benton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2005, 12:27:50 PM »
Well, while emotional feelings are by definition internal, they sometimes come from some external pressure...as you have pointed out so many times.

another "epiphany"!  aren't you just officially in charge of the obvious? 

i only pointed out that obvious fact so that you would be able to clearly see the diff. btw a cause of a feeling and the feeling itself (and,similarly, the feeling and the actions resulting bc of it). 

Perhaps her internal pressure is self created?? 

i don't think it is, and if you've ever had a close friend who could "pass" (or even grew up in the suburbs or used proper english), then you know of the flack they've gotten from the black community--people complain that they are told they "talk white" every day.

to use mariah as an example, the action of broadcasting to the world a manifold knowledge of chickens and ash may come from the feeling that she isn't being accepted by the black community.  this feeling may, in turn, come from the fact that people keep QUESTIONING HER F&%$#@*!G ETHNICITY.

THUS:

"that b!tch is not black" (society's thoughts) ---> "maybe i'm still not 'black enough'" (mariah's thoughts) ---> "these chickens is ash and i'm lo-tion" (piteous lyrics)

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2005, 12:59:49 PM »
Well, while emotional feelings are by definition internal, they sometimes come from some external pressure...as you have pointed out so many times.

another "epiphany"!  aren't you just officially in charge of the obvious? 

i only pointed out that obvious fact so that you would be able to clearly see the diff. btw a cause of a feeling and the feeling itself (and,similarly, the feeling and the actions resulting bc of it). 

Perhaps her internal pressure is self created?? 

i don't think it is, and if you've ever had a close friend who could "pass" (or even grew up in the suburbs or used proper english), then you know of the flack they've gotten from the black community--people complain that they are told they "talk white" every day.

to use mariah as an example, the action of broadcasting to the world a manifold knowledge of chickens and ash may come from the feeling that she isn't being accepted by the black community.  this feeling may, in turn, come from the fact that people keep QUESTIONING HER F&%$#@*!G ETHNICITY.

THUS:

"that b!tch is not black" (society's thoughts) ---> "maybe i'm still not 'black enough'" (mariah's thoughts) ---> "these chickens is ash and i'm lo-tion" (piteous lyrics)

WOW, you seem to develop an attitude when people disagree.  A sure sign of imaturatity.  You act as if you are the queen of black pressure to act black.  Just because you are a fan of MC does not mean you know what makes her tick.  And your childish insults are not going to get me into an insult contest with you.  The reason you insult is because there is nothing to your argument.  It just just your feelings as to why MC acts the way she does.  Perhaps she acts the way she does because she is a hood rat?  Perhaps she does so because she puts pressure on herself and it is not the "black community"  Since when has MC been so important that the "black community" gotten together to discuss her ethnicity? 

You dont think her internal pressure is self created, because you have a friend who went through something similar.  Oh, well why didnt you just say so, that explains everything and of course everyone going through the same thing reacts the same.  The fact that she is not secure enough in her ethnicity cant be put on the "black community."  When you are grown, you have to take responsibility for your own actions.  Not blame them on the "black community."

Impressive, not only cant you read the thoughts of MC, but in fact you have shown the ability to read the thoughts of ENTIRE society!   

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2005, 01:02:32 PM »
"Black" is not a culture.  Or if it is some sort of huge macroculture, it doesn't at all work the way people think it does. Bottom line: Mariah Carey's daddy is black, ergo Mariah Carey is black.

One Drop Rule.

Did anyone even refer to legality in the discussion of whether or not she's black?  Are you black?

I mentioned it in the discussion in context of the one drop rule.  I am allowed to expand the discussion or is that only allowed by you?  Why does it matter if I am black or not?  For the sake of discussion, say I am not black, so what?

It matters if you're black, and it doesn't matter whether one drop rule is legal or not.  One drop rule remains a mentality that makes MC black.

j.rosh

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2005, 01:06:27 PM »

this feeling may, in turn, come from the fact that people keep QUESTIONING HER F&%$#@*!G ETHNICITY.

THUS:

Okay... ???
Is it just me or does anyone else think that she's reading too much into that lyric?

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2005, 01:06:33 PM »

One Drop Rule.

It matters if you're black, and it doesn't matter whether one drop rule is legal or not.  One drop rule remains a mentality that makes MC black.

Why would it possiby matter if I am black?  The law does not matter?  Since when?  How does the one drop rule remain the mentality that makes  MC black?  I bet there are some people on  here that have one drop of black blood in them and would argue with you that they are black.  You are saying that what someone thinks they are makes no difference?  What if MC thinks she is white, or mixed-race?