Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: why won't people leave mariah's ethnicity alone?  (Read 8385 times)

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: why won't people leave mariah's ethnicity alone?
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2005, 02:35:32 AM »
Get real.  People having to live up to some imaginary standard of blackness has nothing to do with skin tone.

jerrica benton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2005, 02:44:02 AM »

Isnt the fact that Mariah is fronting like she is black a possibility just as what you allege is a possibility?  How is your premise sound and accurate but his cant be???  I dont think he is saying she aint black, I think he is saying your reasons for saying she is black dont really logically follow.  But that is just my reading. 

omfg

surely you are flaming.

my original post is not arguing for or against mariah carey's being black.  

to prove that mariah carey is black is not the purpose of the post.  

perhaps, more importantly, the post is not an argument.  

in what language do i have to say this so that you people understand?

why do you even assume that mariah carey's ethnicity is arguable??  you don't run around asking angie stone what neighborhood she grew up in.  you don't ask her for any evidence of recent donations to the uncf.

if the woman says she is black, you are just going to have to take her word for it.  if you want an argument, then here's a good one:

RESOLVE: BLACK PEOPLE SHOULD BE ACCEPTED AS BLACK--WITHOUT BEING MADE TO FEEL THE NEED TO PROVE THEIR BLACKNESS.

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2005, 03:03:58 AM »
"Black" is not a culture.  Or if it is some sort of huge macroculture, it doesn't at all work the way people think it does. Bottom line: Mariah Carey's daddy is black, ergo Mariah Carey is black.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2005, 03:09:18 AM »
"Black" is not a culture.  Or if it is some sort of huge macroculture, it doesn't at all work the way people think it does. Bottom line: Mariah Carey's daddy is black, ergo Mariah Carey is black.

Isnt Mariah's mother white, by your logic, that would make her white.
Back in the saddle again.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2005, 03:14:56 AM »

Isnt the fact that Mariah is fronting like she is black a possibility just as what you allege is a possibility?  How is your premise sound and accurate but his cant be???  I dont think he is saying she aint black, I think he is saying your reasons for saying she is black dont really logically follow.  But that is just my reading. 

omfg

surely you are flaming.

my original post is not arguing for or against mariah carey's being black.  

to prove that mariah carey is black is not the purpose of the post.  

perhaps, more importantly, the post is not an argument.  

in what language do i have to say this so that you people understand?

why do you even assume that mariah carey's ethnicity is arguable??  you don't run around asking angie stone what neighborhood she grew up in.  you don't ask her for any evidence of recent donations to the uncf.

if the woman says she is black, you are just going to have to take her word for it.  if you want an argument, then here's a good one:

RESOLVE: BLACK PEOPLE SHOULD BE ACCEPTED AS BLACK--WITHOUT BEING MADE TO FEEL THE NEED TO PROVE THEIR BLACKNESS.
No, I am not flaming....perhaps you should omit this part of your original post as it seems to be the part that is causing the most amound of trouble. 
i wonder if these people are blind.  do they not see the black folks dancing in the fields with mariah in these videos?  or the obligatory chubby black kid in 90% of them?  do they ignore the fact that a recurring theme in her visual repertoire is singing with a black choir in a black church?  the poor thing has even had videos wherein she sports long, braided extensions and a du rag.  and have u seen her entourage?  what else does this woman have to do to let people know she considers herself a pt of black america??
  Maybe Mariah feels some internal pressure to prove her blackness.  I dont know.  I am not saying what you intended by your original post, I was commenting on your comments on 3peat's post.  It is not that serious.  Perhaps you should be more clear in your original post as to what you posted for and that way you wont have to worry about someone misconstruing your intention.  And sometimes people post here and others take that discussion off in another direction  Is that ok with you??????

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2005, 03:16:23 AM »

One Drop Rule.

Maybe Mariah feels some internal pressure to prove her blackness.

...Internal?  Are you black(I'm actually asking)

jerrica benton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2005, 03:32:56 AM »
No, I am not flaming....perhaps you should omit this part of your original post as it seems to be the part that is causing the most amound of trouble. 
i wonder if these people are blind.  do they not see the black folks dancing in the fields with mariah in these videos?  or the obligatory chubby black kid in 90% of them?  do they ignore the fact that a recurring theme in her visual repertoire is singing with a black choir in a black church?  the poor thing has even had videos wherein she sports long, braided extensions and a du rag.  and have u seen her entourage?  what else does this woman have to do to let people know she considers herself a pt of black america??

i will try one more time to explain this to you bc it is flooring me that you still don't understand the post. 

you said that perhaps mc feels some internal pressure to prove her blackness. 

well..first off, emotional feelings are, by def, internal.

more importantly, the list of things you mentioned i should delete are all things that i believe mariah did to "prove her blackness", just as my cousin sometimes uses ebonics to "prove" that she is black.  if you will reread the post, you will note that i indicate the people who act in the ways i listed do so because they "feel the need to"... in lieu of some other obvious sign that they are black. 

thus, your epiphany that mariah carey may "feel pressure" to "prove her blackness" is actually what the original post discusses. 

my question to the posters was "why do members of the black community insist on making her feel this way?"

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2005, 03:54:04 AM »

One Drop Rule.

is the one drop rule law???  Does it matter if I am black?

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2005, 04:02:38 AM »

i will try one more time to explain this to you bc it is flooring me that you still don't understand the post. 

you said that perhaps mc feels some internal pressure to prove her blackness. 

well..first off, emotional feelings are, by def, internal.

more importantly, the list of things you mentioned i should delete are all things that i believe mariah did to "prove her blackness", just as my cousin sometimes uses ebonics to "prove" that she is black.  if you will reread the post, you will note that i indicate the people who act in the ways i listed do so because they "feel the need to"... in lieu of some other obvious sign that they are black. 

thus, your epiphany that mariah carey may "feel pressure" to "prove her blackness" is actually what the original post discusses. 

my question to the posters was "why do members of the black community insist on making her feel this way?"
Well, while emotional feelings are by definition internal, they sometimes come from some external pressure...as you have pointed out so many times.  Perhaps her internal pressure is self created??  I undersand what you think, but again, why is it that you think your point is the only valid point.  I believe 3peat was arguing that perhaps those are not things that MC was doing to "prove" she was black as they dont go to proving blackness.  I am not agreeing or disagreeing with either of you, I am just and have been trying to explain what 3peat might have been trying to say.  I dont know what is so difficult to understand about that.  I have had no epiphanies....just a statement to continue the discussion you were attempting to creat.  I never said I disagree with your original post.....In fact, I have said I am not agreeing or disagreeing with either of you.

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2005, 04:09:42 AM »

One Drop Rule.

is the one drop rule law???  Does it matter if I am black?

Did anyone even refer to legality in the discussion of whether or not she's black?  Are you black?