Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: why won't people leave mariah's ethnicity alone?  (Read 8247 times)

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
Re: why won't people leave mariah's ethnicity alone?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2005, 07:16:22 PM »
I agree with the first post on this thread. Mariah should be left alone. I don't see what the big deal is.  So many people in America needlessly focus on criticizing and critiquing others and fail to solve their own problems. 

I am a big Mariah Carey fan as well, but this does not bias me in that way. My skin is not that light, in fact, it is a medium tone, and I have often been treated as an outcast by the black community because I talk white, have "light skin" and associate with "white people." I have other friends with "fair skin" who are treated the same way. It is a sad part of American culture, specifically African American culture. 

Great post whatyoudreamof.

I am confused.  How can you have skin that is not that light, and in fact is a medium tone but have light skin?  I have a problem when people equate some ignorant people who are content with their ignorance and expect others to be as ignorant as them with the "black community."  Also, while I am on it, what is "talking white"???
Back in the saddle again.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 07:49:15 PM »
For starters, I hate the whole dark skin, light skin crap.  I am just making observations based on my personal experiences and what I have been told.  This stuff goes on in my family, which is why I made the comment. Because my skin is "lighter" than some of my family members, and I am "educated," I am considered to be an oreo or a sellout to them. The skin thing is relative to others, not necessarily restricted to dark and light. Some people have suggested that this is a mostly southern phenomenon, so I won't be so hard on you LP.

Talking white?  Come on, LP.  You know what that is. Its not speaking slang on a regular basis . . .using proper English when you converse with fellow human beings . . .got it?  :-\ :P :-*

I agree with the first post on this thread. Mariah should be left alone. I don't see what the big deal is.  So many people in America needlessly focus on criticizing and critiquing others and fail to solve their own problems. 

I am a big Mariah Carey fan as well, but this does not bias me in that way. My skin is not that light, in fact, it is a medium tone, and I have often been treated as an outcast by the black community because I talk white, have "light skin" and associate with "white people." I have other friends with "fair skin" who are treated the same way. It is a sad part of American culture, specifically African American culture. 

I am confused. How can you have skin that is not that light, and in fact is a medium tone but have light skin? I have a problem when people equate some ignorant people who are content with their ignorance and expect others to be as ignorant as them with the "black community." Also, while I am on it, what is "talking white"???
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

j.rosh

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 08:08:21 PM »
LOL. I'm a Carey fan too, but I never knew people made such a big deal about her ethnicity or her "picking a side" (I didn't anyway).

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2005, 08:10:57 PM »
For starters, I hate the whole dark skin, light skin crap.  I am just making observations based on my personal experiences and what I have been told.  This stuff goes on in my family, which is why I made the comment. Because my skin is "lighter" than some of my family members, and I am "educated," I am considered to be an oreo or a sellout to them. The skin thing is relative to others, not necessarily restricted to dark and light. Some people have suggested that this is a mostly southern phenomenon, so I won't be so hard on you LP.

Talking white?  Come on, LP.  You know what that is. Its not speaking slang on a regular basis . . .using proper English when you converse with fellow human beings . . .got it?  :-\ :P :-*

I am confused. How can you have skin that is not that light, and in fact is a medium tone but have light skin? I have a problem when people equate some ignorant people who are content with their ignorance and expect others to be as ignorant as them with the "black community." Also, while I am on it, what is "talking white"???

Well, interesting.  Your family must be JET BLACK, because you cant be considered light to anyone except someone who is JET BLACK, Jurple, as they say.  And if your experience is limited to your family, how does that explain anything that goes on outside of your family??  Yeah, you southerners are strange with  your strange ways....you all are still trying to be the house n-word.  And those that are not are mad at the ones who made it in the house.  I think that is where all of that stuff comes from.  

Well, perhaps when you are with your "uneducated" "dark" family you should not be so upity.  Talk on their level.  Perhaps they feel that you are talking down to them or think you are better than them and they are protecting their ego so they dont feel so bad about themselves???

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2005, 08:11:50 PM »
LOL. I'm a Carey fan too, but I never knew people made such a big deal about her ethnicity or her "picking a side" (I didn't anyway).

And what does her ethnicity have anything to do with her being a NUT!!!!!!!!

j.rosh

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2005, 08:15:37 PM »
 :D :D :D
You said that LP  ;). Love you Mariah :-*

And what does her ethnicity have anything to do with her being a NUT!!!!!!!!

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2005, 08:42:31 PM »
Leave me alone LP . . . . :P

I know what I'm talking about. And my experiences are not limited to my family, I'm just using them as an example.

I am not uppidy . . .I am very nice and very approachable. I am a huge flirt. I do everything I can to make people feel welcome in my presence, even when they have wronged me. After all, I am not here to judge people, that's someone else's job. I want to have fun and get to know people.  If my confidence astounds people, then they should look in the mirror, not me. I just love life and I have no time for needless drama.

So there.  ;D :P

Mariah is a bit of a nutcase, though . . .but I still love her.  :D

Well, interesting.  Your family must be JET BLACK, because you cant be considered light to anyone except someone who is JET BLACK, Jurple, as they say.  And if your experience is limited to your family, how does that explain anything that goes on outside of your family??  Yeah, you southerners are strange with  your strange ways....you all are still trying to be the house n-word.  And those that are not are mad at the ones who made it in the house.  I think that is where all of that stuff comes from. 

Well, perhaps when you are with your "uneducated" "dark" family you should not be so upity.  Talk on their level.  Perhaps they feel that you are talking down to them or think you are better than them and they are protecting their ego so they dont feel so bad about themselves???

smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

jerrica benton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2005, 01:38:00 AM »

How do you get that based on his post that he has a vendictive mentality that makes other people feel the need to act in the ways described in your original post? You get that from the fact that he pointed out some flaws in your original post?  I thought the same thing, while I am not saying I disagree with your premise about mixed race people (I am not saying I agree either), I just didnt say post in response to it until now.  You probably should have just made your point without the example of Mariah Carey.  It was a truely flawed example. While you say that your original post was not entirely about Mariah, you sure put a lot of time into using her as an example.  It might have been a little confusing to those who are reading it what exactly your point was.  Even to those that are clear as to what your point was, your example was a poor example of the point you were trying to make.

first of all:  i know dude is vindictive because he says mariah is "trying to front like she is black".

who the hell is he to tell this woman she isn't black??? 

ONE MORE TIME: my post was not an argument for or against mariah carey's black ethnicity.  in fact, it should be clear to anyone with a sixth grade reading level who has ever answered a multiple-choice "which of the following does the author assume..." question that THIS author is assuming mariah carey to be the ethnicities she claims.

dude also came off as quite the hater by implying that a person is somehow "blacker" because of her zipcode, a premise which is ludicrous at best.

second of all:  mariah carey is a perfect example of what the post is actually about--even 3peat can see that many of mariah's actions are a form of "overplaying...blackness".  i'm just trying to figure out why people like 3peat so readily reject people like mariah--to the point that they have to "overplay" a part of themselves that is, in all actuality, simply a matter of genetics.

jerrica benton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2005, 01:52:23 AM »

naw, you got me all wrong.  I was analyzing your "argument" for why Mariah should be considered black.  Don't take offense, there was nothing personal about it.  It was just that to one objective observer there seemed to be to to arguments that you were making, one of which was poorly supported.  The part in bold is with what I would take issue because someone could to all those things and just be fronting.  Either way it is a red herring argument with the evidence you gave.  I appologize if I offended you, shake on it?

stop throwing around terms like "red herring" like this is your first day of jr high competitive debate.  it's not that serious...  mariah carey feeling the need to act like a hoodrat is CLEARLY not a red herring.  it's an observation PERFECTLY in line with the singular theme of the post (which was CLEARLY more observational than argumentative).

and by the way: i have you pretty well pegged.  like tide, you showed your true colors in your original post. 

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2005, 02:19:29 AM »

How do you get that based on his post that he has a vendictive mentality that makes other people feel the need to act in the ways described in your original post? You get that from the fact that he pointed out some flaws in your original post?  I thought the same thing, while I am not saying I disagree with your premise about mixed race people (I am not saying I agree either), I just didnt say post in response to it until now.  You probably should have just made your point without the example of Mariah Carey.  It was a truely flawed example. While you say that your original post was not entirely about Mariah, you sure put a lot of time into using her as an example.  It might have been a little confusing to those who are reading it what exactly your point was.  Even to those that are clear as to what your point was, your example was a poor example of the point you were trying to make.

first of all:  i know dude is vindictive because he says mariah is "trying to front like she is black".

who the hell is he to tell this woman she isn't black??? 

ONE MORE TIME: my post was not an argument for or against mariah carey's black ethnicity.  in fact, it should be clear to anyone with a sixth grade reading level who has ever answered a multiple-choice "which of the following does the author assume..." question that THIS author is assuming mariah carey to be the ethnicities she claims.

dude also came off as quite the hater by implying that a person is somehow "blacker" because of her zipcode, a premise which is ludicrous at best.

second of all:  mariah carey is a perfect example of what the post is actually about--even 3peat can see that many of mariah's actions are a form of "overplaying...blackness".  i'm just trying to figure out why people like 3peat so readily reject people like mariah--to the point that they have to "overplay" a part of themselves that is, in all actuality, simply a matter of genetics.

Isnt the fact that Mariah is fronting like she is black a possibility just as what you allege is a possibility?  How is your premise sound and accurate but his cant be???  I dont think he is saying she aint black, I think he is saying your reasons for saying she is black dont really logically follow.  But that is just my reading.