Law School Discussion

Entrepreneur Executive in search of Law Degree

Entrepreneur Executive in search of Law Degree
« on: February 25, 2015, 04:16:39 PM »
Hello all, and thank you for your kind advice!  I started my company a few years back and we have about 400 employees in 35 states.  I graduated college many years ago, in an area (medical) that is not remotely associated with what I do now (I.T.)  Being the entrepreur type , I always felt like I had no 'paper' credibility, only credibility with the success of starting and growing a business.  I decided to enter into the Notre Dame Executive Education program and have completed it, and  I'm very happy with it overall.  I would never contemplate becoming a lawyer, or taking the bar, as I am now a little older and settled. 

Over the past dozen years I have faced pretty much every legal challenge a businessman can encounter, and have learned a lot from my attorneys and now inhouse legal.  I would like to pursue an online law degree, J.D. or E.J.D. that I will only have for myself, not really to obtain a better job, or work in the legal field.  This is truly a business decision, as I would like just a little more credibility, and also do it as a personal endeavor as an example to my employees, as you are never too old to learn something new.

With all that said, would you folks be so kind as to advise me on what schools and what direction someone like me should take?  I appreciate good advice and thank you in advance!

Re: Entrepreneur Executive in search of Law Degree
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 09:53:51 AM »
There are only a few online law schools and none are currently accredited by the ABA (American Bar Association).

California has a few California State Bar Schools that offer online and a few unaccredited online schools that will allow you to sit for the California Bar Exam, but will not allow you to take it any other state. Here is the info on all law schools in California from the State Bar Website. http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Education/LegalEducation/LawSchools.aspx

Below is a list of the registered, but unaccredited California correspondence schools. To obtain a traditional legal education attending an ABA school is the best option, but it is mandatory that you physically attend the school. A license to practice law is a very serious responsibility, but if you simply what to get an education and have no desire to be licensed the registered unaccredited schools should provide you with a passable legal education.

Registered Unaccredited Correspondence Law Schools in California

The following institutions are currently registered by the Committee of Bar Examiners of the State Bar of California as unaccredited correspondence law schools. A correspondence law school is a law school that conducts instruction principally by correspondence. A correspondence law school must require at least 864 hours of preparation and study per year for four years.

American International School of Law

16491 Scientific Way
Irvine, CA  92618
888-875-5175
www.aisol.org    

Oak Brook College of Law and Government Policy

P.O. Box 26870
Fresno, CA 93729-6870
559-650-7755
www.obcl.edu

California Southern University
930 Roosevelt Avenue
Irvine, CA 92620
800-477-2254
ww.calsouthern.edu    

Taft Law School
3700 So. Susan St., Office 200
Santa Ana, CA 92704-6954
800-882-4555
www.taftu.edu

International Pacific School of Law
3055 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 500
Los Angeles, CA 90010
888-921-8899
www.paclawschool.com    

University of Honolulu School of Law
1609 Tully Road, Suite 4
Modesto, CA 95350-4030
209-577-3161
www.universityofhonoluluschoo loflaw.net

Northwestern California University
School of Law
2151 River Plaza Drive, Suite 306
Sacramento, CA 95833-4133
916-920-9470
www.nwculaw.edu    

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 10:07:39 AM »
If you have no interest I taking the bar, then I would probably look for the most affordable distance program with a decent track record.

Even though you don't plan on taking the bar, I would still look into each school's bar pass rate. Why? Because some distance learning programs have never produced a single lawyer and others have pass rates in the 5-10% range. I think this probably says something about the program and your fellow students.

You want to get a good education. Look for schools with at least consistent pass rates, even if they're relatively low (compared to ABA programs). Some schools that come to mind are Taft, Oakbrook, and St. Francis. (St. Francis is new, but their program seems a little more selective than average).

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 12:27:33 PM »
In my book regional accreditation would be key.  Concord offers an accredited EJD and Small Business LLM:

http://www.concordlawschool.edu/Executive_Juris_Doctor.aspx

Another option is an accredited MLS - Masters in Legal Studies like this one:

http://www.kaplanuniversity.edu/legal-studies/legal-studies-master-degree.aspx

Most distance learning law schools are not regionally accredited, at best they are just registered with the California Bar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_accreditation

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 12:30:11 PM »
I would opt for a non bar track degree as you will save 1-2 years of school versus 4 for the JD.

doctorlaw

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 10:27:10 PM »
Concord Law School is Regional and has an EJD
http://www.concordlawschool.edu/Executive_Juris_Doctor.aspx

If it is really just for you, then that should be ok, BUT you may want to look into an ABA approved MSL
Here is an example (picked at random) Some are online too and people do tend to respect ABA Masters Degree more than NonABA non licensed "doctorate"
IMHO.
http://mastersinlaw.tjsl.edu/aba-accredited/

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 05:20:27 PM »
FYI - ABA only accredits law schools.  All Masters in Legal Studies (MLS) and EJDs if accredited would be regionally accredited.  A lot of LLMs like those in Tax would be geared towards attorneys.  I'm not a fan of non attorney JDs. It is like going to medical school and not becoming a doctor.  It also creates a problem because people will assume you are an attorney and can create inadvertent UPL issues.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 06:35:31 PM »
Agree with a lot of the posts above. The reality is you should go to law school only if you want to be a lawyer, to get anything you have to be all-in.  An interest in law, but a less than complete commitment will not lead to good things. I am sure in your business practice you don't have half ass things as nothing good results.

doctorlaw

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 08:24:39 PM »
FYI - ABA only accredits law schools.  All Masters in Legal Studies (MLS) and EJDs if accredited would be regionally accredited.  A lot of LLMs like those in Tax would be geared towards attorneys.  I'm not a fan of non attorney JDs. It is like going to medical school and not becoming a doctor.  It also creates a problem because people will assume you are an attorney and can create inadvertent UPL issues.
(sigh) actually visit the link I gave

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 05:41:42 PM »
TJS is giving the impression falsely that its LLM is accredited by the ABA.  In fact the ABA's only interest is that the non JD program do not have an adverse impact on the JD program:

"The ABA reviews these degree programs only to determine whether their offering would have an adverse impact on the law school's ability to maintain its accreditation for the JD program. If no adverse impact is indicated, the ABA "acquiesces" in the law school's decision to offer the non-JD program and degree."

http://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_education/resources/llm-degrees_post_j_d_non_j_d.html