Law School Discussion

1L First Semester Grades

Re: 1L First Semester Grades
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2015, 11:28:42 PM »

1.Let's pose this hypo a 23 year old college graduate cannot find a job, with their bachelor's degree. What do you tell them to do?

2.Everyone keeps saying law school is this unique terrible decision, which is unlike any other profession. I disagree and think law school like anything else has its pros and cons,  3.but if law school is such a bad idea what  should the person above do?
1. You are really stuck on this aren't you. "what would you tell a Trex that was choking on a space ship" does it matter?
2. It is unique, it is 100% NOT THE SAME THING as ANY of the other examples.
3. whut? um..........uh...........did you even proof read that to make sure it made sense?

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2015, 10:02:31 AM »
Well you didn't answer the question.

A business major with a 3.3 GPA that accrued $40,000 in undergrad debt says he can't find a job. He tells everyone not to go to college, because nobody will hire you without experience. 

Is he right? What advice would you give this person?

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2015, 01:00:00 PM »
Well you didn't answer the question.

A business major with a 3.3 GPA that accrued $40,000 in undergrad debt says he can't find a job. He tells everyone not to go to college, because nobody will hire you without experience. 

Is he right? What advice would you give this person?
guy is off topic, you mention he is off topic, he sticks to topic............
ok, fudge it, I come here because I'm bored for a few minutes, so lets do this (or whatever)
His GPA, doesn't matter, no clue why you brought it up
You mention he's a business major, so "don't go to college" isn't the argument that should be made, but don't be a business major
Then you would go to national statistics from there
I honestly want to believe that you think before hitting send, but I also am 100% sure that you are using the logic mistake of starting at a conclusion and working backwards from there. Its a mistake almost everyone makes I've noticed, I blame 24 hour "news" networks for it myself, but that's another rant entirely.

come on man, come on

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »
I assume you would tell him look for jobs eventually he/she will find one.

It is unlikely that person will be unemployed their entire life, but will have struggles getting their first job.

What is different for a lawyer?

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2015, 03:30:46 PM »

It is unlikely that person will be unemployed their entire life, but will have struggles getting their first job.

I like you, you seem like someone I'd really like to share office space with. I mean that.
And I get what you THINK you are getting at
it just pains me that you think it even relevant

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2015, 08:36:22 AM »

What is different for a lawyer? Let's see-
1. First, many (not all, but many) lawyers will have the undergrad debt (which may be considerably more than $40k) PLUS their law school debt (let's say $260k) and not be able to find a job. Math says that one number is bigger than the other.

2. Second, a college degree is the new high school degree. Many entry-level jobs require a college degree, period. What kind? Who cares! Business, hotel management, Russian studies. Whatevs. You can use that college-level business degree to get a job, or to go to any number of different grad schools, or anything. And you're *only* 40k in debt.

3. A law school degree, on the other hand, is just a degree to practice law. Really. And what's worse is that the value diminishes the longer you don't have the initial job. Which is to say, you become *more* unemployable the longer you wait because of your JD. And with more debt.

So are they different? Yeah, you can say that.

Which goes back to the important point- is law school a bad decision for everyone? No. But is it probably a bad decision for those paying full freight at bad schools? Probably, yes.

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2015, 10:11:22 AM »
No what do you tell the college grad that says I have 80k in debt and cannot find a job. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/felix-w-ortiz-iii/college-grads-are-still-hurting-over-debt-and-joblessness_b_7449460.html

This kid goes on the internet and warns everyone college is a scam and to avoid it all costs, because you will accure debt and be unable to find a job at graduation.

What do you tell that kid?

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2015, 10:52:46 AM »
No what do you tell the college grad that says I have 80k in debt and cannot find a job. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/felix-w-ortiz-iii/college-grads-are-still-hurting-over-debt-and-joblessness_b_7449460.html

This kid goes on the internet and warns everyone college is a scam and to avoid it all costs, because you will accure debt and be unable to find a job at graduation.

What do you tell that kid?

I would tell that kid- hey, look at the bright side. You could spend three more years out of work, be $340,000 in debt, and have even worse employment prospects.

Then again, since we are doing anecdotes, what are you telling the "kids" (you know that they're not kids when they graduate, right?) that have followed your advice, gone into over $300k in debt, wasted three years, can't find a job, and now have to omit their JD from their resume and explain away those three years to potential employers?

All because they believed that, well, if you want it bad enough, it will work out, even if you scored a 145 on your LSAT to pay 50k a year for a degree you'll never use?

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
Well the college graduate will say that is great I am not going to law school, but I am in debt and don't have a job. College is a waste of money and nobody should pursue education, because it costs money and doesn't guarantee you a job. 

Is this college graduate right? He has accrued debt, did not work for four years, has no job and has nothing a piece of paper to show for his work.

Is he doomed to giving handj**s on the street?

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2015, 02:10:09 PM »
Well the college graduate will say that is great I am not going to law school, but I am in debt and don't have a job. College is a waste of money and nobody should pursue education, because it costs money and doesn't guarantee you a job. 

Is this college graduate right? He has accrued debt, did not work for four years, has no job and has nothing a piece of paper to show for his work.

Is he doomed to giving handj**s on the street?
I gotta believe there is a point in there...........and that you have the ability to absorb the info already given to you in a loop...................but all evidence seems to point to the contrary.
Personally I don't give a *&^% about this random person. I wouldn't tell them anything. End. Over.