Go to Med School
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: January 02, 2015, 10:49:23 PM

Disciplinary Action.

Disciplinary Action.
« on: December 13, 2014, 10:37:10 PM »
Hi,

I have a quick question. Actually a long one, so I got in trouble my freshman year.. first semester. My mom was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and I was sexually assaulted during my first semester, everything started spiraling down, so I started not going to work or classes, and just lied on my time sheet and exaggerated my time hours, and even forged the timesheet a couple of times. I was tight on money because I was ashamed of asking my parents at such a difficult time, and resorted to wrongful ways, and take full responsilblity. After the incident, I was at the lowest point in my life, and that is how I was able to put my time into better things like religion and the things that mattered to me. I was suspended for a year, but never returned at my old school. Did four years at my current school, and time has passed,  I realized how much I hated being away from home, and I have never been in trouble since, kept a steady job 4 years, it was a dumb stupid and dishonest mistake... its been 4 years since the incident, and i regret it so much. I paid back the school the 263 dollars I earned dishonestly, and right after the infraction I interned at the DA's office, and became so interested in law. But now I dont know if this will keep me from getting into law school. And should i disclose? Should I even bother applying?

Re: Disciplinary Action.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 10:47:45 PM »
please reply or vote at least. And if not please feel free to private message me. I appreciate anyones help.

barprephero

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 09:01:44 PM »
I honestly didn't even read the post before voting
when in doubt ALWAYS pick "go to medical school" if that is an option

Is that really an option for you or just there for the lulz? I ask since their character and fitness requirements are actually higher than law school if that is the only issue.
What was your undergrad major/GPA? Did you take the LSAT yet? Do you know which law schools you are willing to go to?

I knew lots of students with DUI's and the like as an example of a single mistake not being the end of the world. I'd leave the "I did it since my mom had cancer and I was a victim of assault" I would leave that out. Its just you being honest, and I respect that, but it's best to just admit you made a mistake and not to try to justify it.

For real though, I don't think it in and of itself would be a deal breaker for either medical or law school as long as you are up front about it with no other major issues and meet any other admissions requirements.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
Thank you so much for replying. I have a 3.93 and a 171 on my LSAT. But the issue I discussed is holding me back on applying. Also, med school is literally my last choice, and Law is my dream. Also, NYU is my dream school, and I want to apply ED, but again this issue is holding me back. Any inputs?

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 11:11:22 AM »
Also, I have never been in trouble again, no other issues! I know this sounds like BS, but this experience really did change me for the better. It was an act of dishonesty, and that is why I feel like it would be harder to overcome, and show you've changed for the better.

barprephero

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 03:17:30 PM »
You should be fine. I'd be kind of shocked if you don't get offered scholarships too.
Just be honest, it will reflect on your transcripts and if you fail to mention it they will get more upset than if you just write a two sentence explanation and move on. Resist the urge to overexplain. Remember if they WANT more details they'll ask. The more content you add up front, the more likely it will make them want to ask a question on part of it. Short and sweet and you should be fine.