Law School Discussion

What is the cheapest online law school?

Re: What is the cheapest online law school?
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 12:13:58 PM »
Free online diploma in Legal Studies:

http://alison.com/courses/Diploma-in-Law/content

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 08:48:59 AM »
Doesn't get much cheaper than free.

doctorlaw

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 12:29:33 PM »
Yeah but it doesn't let you sit the bar
Plus even for Novus types, it doesn't say "JD"

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 09:32:07 PM »
I don't think anyone recommends pursuing an education at that school, but it doesn't get much cheaper than free.

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 05:13:25 AM »
Better than wasting money on NOVUS and given it is an Irish certificate one can claim some facility with common and EU law.  All in all, might be worth it for anyone with a little time. Might consideer it myself as a CLE.

doctorlaw

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 10:36:19 PM »
Better than wasting money on NOVUS and given it is an Irish certificate one can claim some facility with common and EU law.  All in all, might be worth it for anyone with a little time. Might consideer it myself as a CLE.
Does it count as CLE? Don't those have to be pre-approved?

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 09:10:14 AM »
Depends on the state, I can also use it for professional CLE for one of my employers.  I started the course, interesting enough, seems to be UK law.

doctorlaw

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 02:20:54 PM »
Depends on the state, I can also use it for professional CLE for one of my employers.  I started the course, interesting enough, seems to be UK law.
So........Every answer is "Mother may I?"

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2015, 01:31:49 PM »
What is the cheapest online law school, and how much is it?
I'm low on cash right now, so I can't pay top dollar.

I am looking right now at the online programs that allow you to take the California Bar Exam and the least expensive I've found are Northwest California University School of Law nwculaw.edu and American International School of Law aisol.org.   NWCU seems more established and AISOL seems to be brand new to the point they might not have any alumni yet.   I am also thinking of Taft and Concord if I were to do the student loans, which I really would prefer to cash flow if I can.   If I do this I would either relate it to my insurance background or perhaps look at immigration law.   

I have been reading here and looking for actual experience with the above mentioned schools.  Taft states 70% eventually pass the California Bar, but not sure how many get to that point.  Having to make trips to California for the baby bar and final bar would be problematic as well.  So I am still thinking on this.  I am just over 50, sure I could do it, but is it going to have any return on the investment of time and money?

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2015, 05:31:40 PM »
Taft and others have a proven track record.  Don't go with a DL school that has no attorney alumni.  You can verify their claims by checking the Cal Bar pass rates.  And if you do not want to travel to California to take the exams, this is not for you.  Finally do you have the time - figure 20 hours a week minimum for the next 4 or 5 years.  DL success is time intensive because it depends on rote memory and essays.   If you are outside California, you will be limited to federal practice - Immigration, Tax, Veterans Disability, Social Security and a few other esoteric fields.  Insurance is a good background for Social Security Disability, Veterans Disability.  The latter two fields have training and seminars available through professional orgs like NOSSCR.