Law School Discussion

What is the cheapest online law school?

barprephero

Re: What is the cheapest online law school?
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 11:26:51 AM »
Here's a suggestion - go ahead and take the LSAT. If you do OK then law school, online or otherwise may be for you.
Yeah but then comes in the weight of what is "ok"
I think some "require" you sit it, but just don't care about the score.

To be honest I can't imagine how anyone with even an Associates Degree from community college with a 2.0 GPA in liberal arts could get below a 142 (which some ABA schools accept if you try hard enough)

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 07:09:38 PM »
Anyone in the bottom 10% might get the message law is not for them.

barprephero

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 11:06:03 PM »
Anyone in the bottom 10% might get the message law is not for them.
anyone in the bottom 10% probably isn't smart enough to understand the significance of it

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 07:53:57 PM »
I think Cooley law school lets students in with a 120 LSAT score. They don't care, because they just want your $35,000 a year.

barprephero

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 02:03:09 AM »
I think Cooley law school lets students in with a 120 LSAT score. They don't care, because they just want your $35,000 a year.
Whittier maybe

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 11:29:32 AM »
I'd go to Concord. They are not the "cheapest" but are Regionally Accredited and accept student loans. They even (I believe) cut you a check each term to cover your book and pencils and the like.
http://law.concordlawschool.edu/?source=SF08904&kp_vendorID=61599&utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=CLS%2DBrand%2D2014%2DGeneral%2DExact&utm_term=74324841-VQ2-{network}-VQ6-{creative}-VQ16-c

The "cheapest" would be to just study under an attorney. CA lets you do that for 4 years and then sit the bar exam (first year bar exam still required too same as online schools)
The trick is finding an attorney to take you under their wing though.

Don't go to Concord. They have bad student reviews and low baby bar and bar pass ratio. Read the reviews here,
http://www.onlinedegreereviews.org/college/concord-law-school-reviews/

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 11:06:47 PM »
Mid Atlantic School of Law.  I checked with Concord.  Tuition is a whole bunch more than Mid Atlantic and they (Concord) uses the same law books and same process.   You WILL NOT be able to take the BAR but you certainly will learn the law.  You have three years to complete the program.  Fifteen courses - twelve required that cover all the relevant classes that you would take in a brick and mortar school, and then you choose three electives.  Fifteen classes altogether.  I completed the program and I have been involved in several cases of my own (Pro Se).   Anyone can file a claim (civil or criminal).  Civil is much different and a brief and all the document filings are all required.  You do the same thing as a licensed lawyer except you cannot represent a client I court because you will not be licensed.  The day IS coming when on-line degrees will be accepted for the BAR exam.  It's just a matter of time.  Recall back when students first start taking college courses on line and the brick and mortar school students laughed and said that the on-liners aren't getting REAL degrees.  Well, times have changed.  Many, Many more people are attending on line schools and getting certified, REAL degrees.. These are working people who have families and like you, can't afford the time or the money to go to a regular school.  Believe me, I  am confident I could take the BAR with my on line education and pass it (eventually).  Even some Harvard graduates do not pass the bar on the first attempt.  In fact, I would say a good majority don't.  On line education in all disciplines is the thing of the future.  Hell, who can afford to go to college?  Going to a brick and mortar law school can cost you in the hundreds of thousands and FOR WHAT!  The same education you get by studying and learning at home and just applying yourself.

vanceap3

• Currently Law Student at Northumbria in UK
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 04:34:24 AM »
That's all well and good, however Mid-Atlantic School of Law is no longer in business.  Have you checked the web site lately...it isn't there!  The Director passed away in July, 2014 and the school was shut down shortly after that.  Transcripts are no longer available.

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »
Yes, I think there was  post on the boards a few months ago about MASL closing down.

I'm not sure what the cheapest online law school is, but it probably depends on whether or not the student wants to take the bar. There are some non-bar qualifying degrees out there that are very cheap, but there's not much point unless you just want it for self enrichment.

As far as bar-qualifying degrees, I think that the California correspondence schools are much cheaper than Concord.

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 01:08:17 PM »
I wouldn't choose online law school because you are low on cash.

Your legal education is a life-long investment and if you are going to pursue spending money for an ABA accredited law school or at least California approved law school is worth it. If there is some physical or personal reason why online law school is necessary and you want to be a lawyer then online law school works, but savings a few thousand now is probably not worth it and you can likely get scholarships at a number of ABA schools. Just my two cents as an anonymous internet poster.