Law School Discussion

What is the cheapest online law school?

What is the cheapest online law school?
« on: December 13, 2014, 10:33:44 PM »
What is the cheapest online law school, and how much is it?
I'm low on cash right now, so I can't pay top dollar.

barprephero

Re: What is the cheapest online law school?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 09:10:24 PM »
I'd go to Concord. They are not the "cheapest" but are Regionally Accredited and accept student loans. They even (I believe) cut you a check each term to cover your book and pencils and the like.
http://law.concordlawschool.edu/?source=SF08904&kp_vendorID=61599&utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=CLS%2DBrand%2D2014%2DGeneral%2DExact&utm_term=74324841-VQ2-{network}-VQ6-{creative}-VQ16-c

The "cheapest" would be to just study under an attorney. CA lets you do that for 4 years and then sit the bar exam (first year bar exam still required too same as online schools)
The trick is finding an attorney to take you under their wing though.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 11:34:56 PM »
They are not regionally accredited. There are only 6 regionally accrediting bodies in the United States. What body are they accredited under?

barprephero

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 03:56:57 PM »
They are not regionally accredited. There are only 6 regionally accrediting bodies in the United States. What body are they accredited under?
I take it you haven't been to their website yet. They are through Kaplan, and they are regional. It's all on their website.
Why the instant presumption that they are not?

barprephero

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 03:59:05 PM »
I'm a bit disturbed that you want to attend law school but can't even figure this out on your own, but here it is (in case anyone else can benefit from reading it in the future)

http://www.concordlawschool.edu/Accreditation.aspx     

Accreditation by The Higher Learning Commission

Kaplan University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (HLC).*  The formal merger of Concord Law School into Kaplan University in the fall of 2007 made Concord the first online law school to be part of a regionally accredited institution of higher education.

The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools is tasked with the regional accreditation responsibities for higher education institutions in the central United States. The Higher Learning Commission oversees the accreditation of degree-granting colleges and universities in nineteen Midwestern and South-Central states, including Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, New Mexico, South Dakota, Wisconsin, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

The United States Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation recognize the Commission as the assigned regional accrediting organization

barprephero

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 04:04:11 PM »
They require a Bachelors Degree with a 3.0 GPA so it might not be the best option for all.
There are others that offer admissions with only 60 undergrad credits at a 2.0 GPA but those tend to be the ones not even nationally accredited

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 05:17:32 PM »
The tuitions are no mystery, get the list from the Cal Bar  - go ask the schools

barprephero

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 08:13:36 PM »
The tuitions are no mystery, get the list from the Cal Bar  - go ask the schools
Right. I agree. Its why I went on a bit of a side subject for OP about cost vs affordability. Concord may cost more but the ability to pay may be more doable due to its accrediting. Its kind of like buying a car. There may be a person out there willing to sell you a car for cheaper than others but 1. It might not be a better car, and 2. If they want $1.000 cash and you only have $100 in pocket you may have to get financing and financing might only cover OTHER cars.

But then again OP might have a trust fund or something, I dunno.

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 01:28:26 AM »
Thanks for the link. Yes, I confirmed Concord is regionally accredited, but they still are not ABA accredited. I'm not sure how a regionally accredited law school would help in any way, because they still aren't ABA accredited.
I also don't think financial aid such as government Pell grants can be used for education above a bachelor degree - such as a master degree, or  J.D.

Although Concord is considered the Cadillac of online law schools, they still have a low pass rate. None of these online law schools have good pass ratios.

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 07:12:08 AM »
Here's a suggestion - go ahead and take the LSAT. If you do OK then law school, online or otherwise may be for you.