Law School Discussion

Law Schools that require less than 90 credits to get a JD

barprephero

Law Schools that require less than 90 credits to get a JD
« on: November 22, 2014, 04:14:49 PM »
I got bored and looked up LLM stuff (just in case I ever wanted to punish myself someday for no good reason) and noticed that some ABA approved law schools appear to not require the full 90 credits for a JD.
example:
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/facts/documents/2013-ABA-Standard-509-Information-Report.pdf
"Number of credit hours required to graduate 84"

I thought 90 credits was an ABA requirement?

Re: Law Schools that require less than 90 credits to get a JD
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 08:10:54 PM »
ABA Standard 304:
(b) A law school shall require, as a condition for graduation, successful completion of a course of study in residence of not fewer than 58,000 minutes of instruction time, except as otherwise provided. At least 45,000 of these minutes shall be by attendance in regularly scheduled class sessions at the law school.

Interpretation 304-4
Law schools may find the following examples useful. Law schools on a conventional semester system typically require 700 minutes of instruction time per “credit,” exclusive of time for an examination. A quarter hour of credit requires 450 minutes of instruction time, exclusive of time for an examination. To achieve the required total of 58,000 minutes of instruction time, a law school must require at least 83 semester hours of credit, or 129 quarter hours of credit.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 10:36:37 PM »
58,000 minutes? Are they trying to be annoying?

Anyway, my school required 88 which was increased from 84 a few years before I matriculated. I think less than 90 is relatively common.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 11:23:52 PM »
Also note that less than 83 law units may be required in the case of dual/joint degrees. A JD/MBA or similar degree would be 50-60 credits in law. Essentially you'd do 2 years in law school and 2 years in business/grad school.

barprephero

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 06:12:19 PM »
The minutes thing is weird, but I've come to EXPECT stupid for the sake of stupid when it comes to the law be it law school or licensing boards. I get the feeling that being stupid for the sake of stupid makes them honestly think that the average person will see it and go "oh, its too different for me to understand, and they must be smart since they went to college so they must be lightyears ahead of me in intelligence"
nope, its just stupid for the sake of stupid

83 horus? I dang well wish I had that option. 7 hours less of student loans!

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »
I thought the majority of schools required between 84-88, which seems to be plenty. You can only learn so much in school and there were probably 10 units at my school that were wastes of time.

barprephero

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 06:42:29 PM »
I thought the majority of schools required between 84-88, which seems to be plenty. You can only learn so much in school and there were probably 10 units at my school that were wastes of time.
I thought most required 90. But then again most likely will soon once they realize they can get that extra money out of students to make up for lowered enrollment.