Law School Discussion

Am I On the Right Track

Am I On the Right Track
« on: November 07, 2014, 05:35:33 PM »
This may seem like an odd question because there are a lot of factors that go into making it into a good law program, but I still wanted to ask around.   I am a triple major (English Literature, Philosophy, and Political Science with a minor in Spanish) holding around a 3.9 and am the captain of a Division 1 Varsity sport.  I decided to take a fifth year to finish out my undergraduate degrees because I had to sit out a season and wanted to continue playing.  Is taking the fifth year going to hurt me when it comes to applying to law school?  Also, is there anything else I should be doing to diversify my portfolio? I currently have a writing internship with an online magazine and plan to look into more relevant internships for next year/next summer.  Thanks.

Re: Am I On the Right Track
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 09:05:10 PM »
No, a fifth year won't make any difference.

The single biggest thing you can now do to increase your chances of getting accepted is to focus on the LSAT. An extra few points on the LSAT is worth more than all the internships in the universe.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 09:58:32 PM »
Yep, what FL said.

barprephero

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 08:05:27 PM »
GPA and LSAT Score are the main factors. If you can raise GPA then it will help in theory but could hurt in theory too (you could do worse, murpheys law)
Having extra stuff on your academic resume would be a nice "soft" but not likely a tie braker of any kind. I would say you'd be better off taking that year and using it taking LSAT prep classes and repeating the exam if you want to make any solid difference.

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 11:52:57 PM »
Yep, what I.M.D.Law said.

barprephero

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 07:44:06 PM »
Yep, what I.M.D.Law said.
Yep, I like this trend. It seems like a fun meme

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 09:13:27 AM »
The fifth year will not hurt you, and I did the same thing in college wanted to play one more year. The only thing you should do is focus on taking the LSAT if you haven't already. I would encourage you to take the LSAT while in college just you have a score. You can always retake, but knocking that out of the way is really the hardest part of the application process, and many people put it off for years.

If law school is what you want then start get the process started take the February or July LSAT then start applying in October. I recommend anyone applying to law school attend an LSAC forum to obtain fee waivers, and get introduced to schools etc. http://www.lsac.org/jd/choosing-a-law-school/law-school-recruitment-forums . I saved about $2,000 on law school applications by attending this, and then obtained scholarship offers from schools I had no intention of attending and used those scholarships as leverage to obtain more scholarship money from the schools I wanted to attend.

I also think once you have the LSAT and are accepted into various schools, this article does a great job of explaining factors to consider when choosing a law school. http://www.legalmatch.com/choose-the-right-law-school.html

Good luck in your final season and on your pursuit of a legal education.